Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions please - keep the 12 bolt?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bajaviking, Jun 28, 2005.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I just dropped a lot of weight on my new project 83 K5, took of the carpet, tailgate, hardtop, bumpers and doors. I won't run more than 35 inch tires and I got a 305/350/208 combo which runs really good but of course I am not exactly making big power here, the truck feels really light now and I am wondering if I should keep my 12 bolt and put a lockright in it, I would like to keep it for better clearance and also lighter weight and maybe since my rear is a lot lighter now it might actually hold together. :confused:

2. jmd4x4

jmd4x4 1/2 ton status

I say keep it, if you are only going to run 35's I dont see why you should upgrade. What kind of wheeling are you going to do?

later
    jmd

3. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I do a little of everything including some rocks but nothing really hardcore. I would say on a scale from 1 to 10 with 10 being hardcore rockcrawling I am maybe a 7.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I take my DD on light rockcrawling runs with a 12 bolt and a Lockright . Others here by me run crazier stuff . Last run out one of our guys with 37's and a 12 bolt broke a driveshaft , but not his axles .

If you drive allright , and only running 35's , I don't see why not . Just carry extra shafts anyway . :D

5. jmd4x4

jmd4x4 1/2 ton status

The rocks is probly the only thing that would have a chance to brake the 12 bolt. As long as you drive sensibly on the rocks you should be ok.

later
    jmd