Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions please.

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Z3PR, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Been shopping around for a used car (Trade off the 98 Dodge Stratus) daily driver. Looked at a Buick Riviera, but just didn't like the color (Green). Here's the musts. GM product, 1999 or newer, V6, automadic transmission, and 2 door. Oh yeah, under $10,000.00. What would you recomend and why. Keep in mind, my 71 y/o mother will be driving this car also. Will be going to look at a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with 47,000 miles on it sometime in the next week or so.

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

My vote would be for the Grand Prix. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif My parents had a '92 they kept for 10years. I really liked the car. It wasn't the GTP. My wife and I have always wanted to get a GTP, but we haven't had the money yet.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    My vote would be for the Grand Prix. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif My parents had a '92 they kept for 10years. I really liked the car. It wasn't the GTP. My wife and I have always wanted to get a GTP, but we haven't had the money yet.

[/ QUOTE ] The $$$ a big concern. I fear the GTP may be out of my price range. But I haven't had a chance to talk $$$ yet.

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

We haven't priced one in a while, but I thought that at least the regular Grand Prix was a decent price.

Of course I did say before that the $$$ was why we don't have one now. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The GTP is a sweet ride, but keep in mind that you can only run premium fuel in it because of the supercharger. So if cost is a concern...

One thing to watch for on the normally aspirated V6's of that vintage is that they very commonly develop an intake gasket leak. Coolant starts leaking out. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    The GTP is a sweet ride, but keep in mind that you can only run premium fuel in it because of the supercharger. So if cost is a concern...

One thing to watch for on the normally aspirated V6's of that vintage is that they very commonly develop an intake gasket leak. Coolant starts leaking out. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ] We only run 91 or higher octane anyways. I've always felt I've gotten better MPG's with the higher octane gas. Might be wrong, but's it's not worth argueing over.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Be careful of GM superchargers they can start having bearing problems around 60 to 80 k miles. Usually requiring replacement of the SC.

I would recomend a NAd 3.8 Pontiac Bonneville over a GP

8. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here is the Buick Riviera you need.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ebay

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Here is the Buick Riviera you need.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ebay

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ] That'd be nice too have, but I'd have too repaint it, that paint job sticks out like a sore thumb.

10. RingMaster4x4

yeah the seller says it is a trubite to 9/11

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I seen that, but it's not something I'd want on a daily driver. I don't want a paint job that is a one of a kind, I guess I just don't want to reconized everywhere I go, LOL.

12. RingMaster4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I seen that, but it's not something I'd want on a daily driver. I don't want a paint job that is a one of a kind, I guess I just don't want to reconized everywhere I go, LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

try a grandam or grandprix, the bonneville isnt bad but too big, my mom owns a grandprix and its comfy, good power, and still good gas mileage, my step dads got a bonneville, too big though and just a little bit worse gas mileage so i say go with the grand prix /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    try a grandam or grandprix, the bonneville isnt bad but too big, my mom owns a grandprix and its comfy, good power, and still good gas mileage, my step dads got a bonneville, too big though and just a little bit worse gas mileage so i say go with the grand prix /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]As long as it's a 2 door I'll consitter it. Kinda lookinng at a 2000 Olds Alero with the 3.4 V-6. www.kelolandautomall.com/getimage.asp?size=big&pid=335793 Only 35,000 miles on it. Also looking at a 97 Riviera with 31,000 miles on it. http://images.getauto.com/vehicles/1G4G/1G4GD22K1V4712283-a.jpg

15. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Just getcha a 4 door Outback Coupe... Subaru is kinda sorta GM in a little tiny way /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Just getcha a 4 door Outback Coupe... Subaru is kinda sorta GM in a little tiny way /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Don't want a 4 door, and I don't consitter that as a GM.

17. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I would get a car with the 3.8L engine over a 3.4. I have owned both 3.4L and 3.8L cars. The 3.8 is hands down a far better engine than the 3.4.
    I currently have 2 cars with the 3.8 Ones a 93 Bonneville that i have had since almost new. It has 140K on it, is on its second teenage driver(both my kids) and still running great.
    The other is my wife's 99 Monte Carlo Z34(chevy switched to 3.8L and quit using the 3.4 in 1999 because of all the problems they had with OHC 3.4 engines)
    It runs/handles good and gets around 28 mpg on the highway.
    Other than regular maintience. And a water pump and alternator on the bonneville. I have 0 serious mechanical issues with either of these cars.
    Oh yeah. the Monte's a 2 door. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You can buy 99s and up all day long for under 10K.
    Matter of fact I might consider selling my Monte Carlo with 40K easy highway miles on it for around 9K . It is in Excelent condition and loaded.