Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

opinions please!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mud hungry, Nov 17, 2004.

1. mud hungry

mud hungry 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifThank you guys for your help on my research for my new project. I just picked up a 84 K5 4x4. I am looking for some opinions as to how I should build it. most likely I would probally run 50% DD 45% mud and 5% what ever is thrown at me on the trails. I have a couple of ideas as to what to run, like a 4 bm 350 with a holley systemax setup that would produce 425 hp/tq if setup their way, with a nv4500 and an atlas 2 transfer with 3.08:1 ratio. I am thinking 34-35in tsl. tires for the road and 35-36in mud boggers for serious wheeling in the mud, and 6" of lift with cross over steering. what I don't know how to set-up is, axle ratios and axles (should I 3/4 ton or full) and if I go one ton with they bolt up into stock. I would use the truck for everything one the road like Highway driving, light towing, around town driving. I haven't done alot a fabrication so more on the simple side better. any and all opinions are helpful. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You seem to have a decent rough outline, great! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I am not familiar with the holleysystemx setup. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif 425HP and 425ft lbs of torque is a lot for a 350. That will be a fairly healthy motor that will make power higher in the power band because of the camshaft it will take to make that kind of power. You could build it with AFR heads, multi port injection, and a really good performance cam made for lower end power. That would be a better combo but expensive to build. I would consider stroking the 350 to a 383 with a slightly milder cam around 450-480" lift and a good head like a merlin torquer, Pro 1 topline, or even vortecs with an overall compression of around 9.1:1 to 9.5:1. Closer to 10.1:1 if you go with aluminum heads. I am not a big fan of compression though, I have had a bad experience with pinging in my 406 at 9.2:1 on 91 octane, with wonderfull hi performance cali gas though. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    i would aim for more like 300-350HP and 400 ft lbs with a flat powerband instead of 425/425 because...
    1. The price of gas that is probably not going to decrease.
    2.A 425/425 350 is pretty healthy and will probably struggle in the lower RPM range because of the cam required.
    3. You only plan on running 35's at the most. 300HP can man handle 35" boggers no problem.

For the tranny you don't list what your K5 has stock. I will asumme that it is a TH700R4 auto because the majority had them. Unless you are dead set on running a manual I would consider just running your current th700 with a good shift kit & cooler and see how long it lasts, especially if it's in good shape currently. Then you could have a custom th700R4 built up to handle 350-400HP and 35's without a sweat for probably not much more than the cost of your average NV4500. If the NV4500 needs syncros, clutch, gaskets....you will probably easily exceed the cost of a built th700. Plus, in mud an auto is the way to go. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I would forget about the atlas Tcase unless you are dead set on it. The stock NP208 rebuilt is adequaet and finding a 241 at the junk yard would be cheap and a good upgrade.

A 6" lift would be nice with a set of 35" boggers or TSL's unless you plan on running wide rims, than I would consider an 8" kit. BDS or Tuff Country is the only way to go! You will need a pair of custom shafts, I would recommend the stock shaft just lengthened with a sealed slip up front with a 1350 joint new shaft at the rear. With only 6" you probably don't need a CV, I don't.
    I would go with a 3/4ton set. a 14BFF and 10B with 8 lug outers would be perfect and swap directly in. A 3/4 14BFF is a DIRECT bolt in, a 1 ton 14BFF is NOT a direct bolt in(the spring perches are narrower on them and the shock mounts are opposite). A 3/4 10B will also be a DIRECT bolt in but a 3/4 D44 won't, it will take smaller brake lines up front but IIRC you could just use your 10B calipers because I think they interchange between a D44 and 10B.
    4.56 gears would be nice with 35's and they come factory in some 3/4 ton running gear but can be hard to find because most trucks came with 4.10's and even 3.73's.

35x16" boggers are a great tire for what you want to do and I love mine! Go with the 35x16, not the 35x14.50 because it's a smaller tire and has the same tread depth as the 33" tire. The 16" wide bogger has deeper tread and larger side lugs, it's a smaller 39.5x18 IMHO. If you plan on spending 50% of the time on road and the other 50% off, switching tires and wheels will get really tiring IMHO. I would go with a tire like the 35x14.50 SSR or 36" TSL radial. Both tires are excellent offroad while still retaining decent road manners with minimal noise and decent tread wear. I can attest to the SSR, I loved mine on and offroad. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Your plans seem to be similar to my K5 so here is some pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Damn Bobby, your really beatin the hell out of that thing!!! Cool!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Like the hood /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. rjfguitar

Just trying to do my part and help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. rjfguitar

All that typing and no response from "mud hungry?" /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

6. mud hungry

Sorry for the delay been at work all day. Here is the site for the Holley systemax setup Systemax. Right now I have a stock 350 4 bolt bored .30 over. just need to finish it off. it is not fully together yet, So I still have every direction to go. As for the tranny I have a sm465 in it. I like the standard aspect of it but would hate having to shif between the gears because of esentially having 3 gears that is why I wanted to go with the NV4500 with the extra gear. Where i live it is mountainous so I have to downshift alot.
    As to the lift massachusetts laws doesn't allow me much higher than 6" lift and 35-36" tires. Hope this gives you alittle more info to work with.

7. rjfguitar

With your truck being equipped with a manual, I would go ahead with your NV4500 idea. 6" of lift should be enough for 35-36" tires as long as you don't run really wide rims. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. mud hungry

I wanted to thank you for all the ifno that you have given me so far. So What would be condidered really wide rims. As for the lift would you recommend going with a straight 6" lift from Tuff country or skyjacker or would you recommend rear shackle flip and 2" springs. and do you know anything about "revolvers".

9. rjfguitar

Wide rims are 14's IMHO, that is what I have. 12's aren't bad. I would go with a 6" kit from Tuff Country or BDS, they are the best. I will get flamed at for this but for the money I would just run a 4" block and 2.5" add a leaf. I have this combo and I like it because it still rides good and I have a heavier spring load in the rear thanks to the addaleaf. FI you keep your u-bolts tight you won't have any problems with a 4" block running mud. I run mud, tow, pull, and race and have never spit a block, heck I even stacked blocks when I first lifted my K5 and didn't have a problem. Remember, a lot of HD pickups come with rear block from the factory, my 2001 cummins powered dodge does.

Your other options could be a set of rear 6" springs to match the front or a 4" shackle flip combined with a 2.5" add a leaf or 2" block. The drawback witht he shackle flip is you aren't supposed to tow with one.

10. mud hungry

Why can't you tow with a shackle flip. Are they not strong enough. and what exactly is a revolver(and I am not talking about the gun) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Are they worth while to get? I have read here that most don't run the sway bar and comments