Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

opinions please!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mud hungry, Nov 17, 2004.

1. mud hungry

mud hungry 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifThank you guys for your help on my research for my new project. I just picked up a 84 K5 4x4. I am looking for some opinions as to how I should build it. most likely I would probally run 50% DD 45% mud and 5% what ever is thrown at me on the trails. I have a couple of ideas as to what to run, like a 4 bm 350 with a holley systemax setup that would produce 425 hp/tq if setup their way, with a nv4500 and an atlas 2 transfer with 3.08:1 ratio. I am thinking 34-35in tsl. tires for the road and 35-36in mud boggers for serious wheeling in the mud, and 6" of lift with cross over steering. what I don't know how to set-up is, axle ratios and axles (should I 3/4 ton or full) and if I go one ton with they bolt up into stock. as well as what type of lockers to use. I was thinking about the arb's. I would use the truck for everything one the road like Highway driving, light towing, around town driving. I haven't done alot a fabrication so more on the simple side better. any and all opinions are helpful. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

All one ton and 3/4 ton is a direst swap in to your 84. Deciding on 3/4 ton or 1 ton just depends on what you plan to do with your truck. Crossover is a little cheaper for a 60 than it is for a 10 bolt front. Lockers, I would run a detroit in the rear and a selectable up front since it is going to be a dd as well as a toy. As far as the 4500 or an Atlass II well, it is whatever you want to run. You will get many different opinions as to what to run so my best suggestion to you would be run what you want to. Myself I am in search of a th400 and a 205 so I can do the doubler since I run alot of everything but my rig is not a dd so I am not really limited as to what I can do. Good luck on your build up and you found the right spot to help you out. I was going to do a resto on mine but now it went from mild to wild in less than 2 years. Oh well, we all need something to sink our money into.

Good Luck,
    James

3. mud hungry

Does a 14 bolt ff come in as a 3/4 or a 1 ton or both. Now the other question that I am looking for an answer for is what gearing should I put in it. i am still looking for street capability as well as gas mileage. I was thinking some where between 3.73:1 and 4.56 but I am not sure. I don't know that much about gearing ratios. This is just about all new to me. and Your right we do need something to sink money into. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

14 bolts are either or as to my knowledge. I may be wrong on that. As far as streetability, I would say 4.10 but then again that would depend on what size tires and your type of transmission your running. There is a calculator on Randy's Ring and Pinion web site that can help you with that as well as alot of lift companies. A buddy of mine was running 4.10's with 40" tires and a 700r4 and he was kind of sluggish in top end so not sure. Check the calculators and see.

5. folkenheath

folkenheath Worthless Trash Premium Member GMOTM Winner

FYI - 14B FF came in 3/4 ton and 1 ton single wheel trucks, the dual rear wheel 1 ton trucks used a Dana 70 rear. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. folkenheath

folkenheath Worthless Trash Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have an excel spreadsheet that calculates these variables:

RPM =
    Speed =
    Tire Diam =
    Trans Ratio =
    T-case Ratio =
    Diff Gear =

Which ever one you leave blank it will calculate for you. Works great. I can send it to you if you like. It can give you an idea of what RPMs you'll be turning with what combo you are running.

7. mud hungry

I would appreciate the worksheet that would be very useful. If you don't mind please send it to tmlamere@msn.com

8. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

get a 14bff out of a 3/4, it will make an easier bolt up.

14bff were offered in 3/4 and 1 ton (SRW and DRW)

as for opinons, i think you need to decide on a budget before anything. the debate of tire size, 1/2 3/4 or 1 ton, crossover, lockers, and tranny tcase combos come after that.

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You made two identical threads, refer to the other one floating around here in the garage to see my rather "long" post. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

did you say 3.08s? someone is begging for a gutless pig! bigger tires require more gear, PERIOD.

i dont see a problem with a common setup for this. how about a 400/205 and 4.10s?

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Reread his post. I think he meant an Atlas transfer case with a 3.08 low range ratio. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif