Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions please

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Z3PR, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Probley only going too run one of the L7's for the time being. So I have a box question for y'all in the know. Would you run box 1. [​IMG] or box 2 [​IMG] both are slot port boxes, and either will fit in my trunk. Witch one looks too be the better box ??

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I like the one on the left. In my experience building custom sub enclosures I have always had the best results when I designed them with the port firing the same direction as the sub.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I kind of like [​IMG] because
    or so they claim. Priced at $42.95 doesn't sound too bad either.

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Kind of a toss up to me. Box 1 has the advantage of the port and sub firing in the same direction but it also has a big corner right in the middle of the port which doesn't help so much. I seriously doubt you want a box tuned to 38 hertz though.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I don't know chit about hertz. Why wouldn't I wat one tuned to 38hz ?? What Hz would I want one tunes for ?? I'm not big into rap, but I do like a little, like ICP. I mostly liston to stuff like Linkin Park, POD, Korn, ...ect. I don't do country or top 40 stuff at all.

6. mikey_d05

Well, I don't know much about L7's but if the box itself and the port are actually tuned to 38 hz, that's really low. It'll sound decent at higher notes and just ****in overpower when it hits real low tones, I don't have time to explain right now but I'll post up more later.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

More info please. I used too run a single L7 in a sealed box, but I want a slot port because ported are suposta be louder. I'm just going too run a one of the L7's till I can afford too upgrade the factory speakers and a amp for them.

8. mikey_d05

Alright, I don't know how much you know about box design, and frankly I'm no expert, but I'm gonna give you the rundown to the best of my knowledge. Subs have a resonant frequency. This is the frequency at which the speaker naturally vibrates in unison with the signal sent to it. I know it sounds dumb because a speaker has to vibrate at the frequency of the signal, but the resonant frequency is very pronounced, and around this frequency you can make a sub very loud with very little input. Like I said, I don't know how much you know about box tuning so here goes. Below about 100 hz the human ear can't locate sound, it can hear it but can't figure out where it's coming from. I think below 20 hz is subsonic. You can feel the pressure wave but can't actually hear it. 40 hz is used as a tuning goal in lots of applications where volume is the main objective because quite a few subs have a resonant frequency somewhere around there. The problem with tuning your box to the free air resonance of your sub is that when your system hits a note around that frequency, the bass gets loud, REAL loud. I used to run a DD9515 with a box tuned to 35 hz (the DD's resonance frequency is 33 hz I believe) and when it hit a note that was between 35 and 40 hz, the whole neighborhood knew it. Another problem with tuning a box to your subs resonance is that the sub tends to distort pitches right around there because it's throwing it's own input into the equation. So now you have loud and distorted bass at the point. I've never run Kicker's so I don't know how they sound, but for street driving, I'd try and aim a little higher for box's sweet spot. That way it'll be more in your usable range of the music you listen to. 40 hz is pretty low for average music to go. The only time I really ran into it was on test CD's and in really low rap music. I run a Memphis SHP 10" now and a friend built the box for me, but I believe it's tuned to like 50-55 hz and it sounds really good for what I listen to (mostly hard rock, but still bumps hard when I turn the rap on) It's still louder when I hit the sweet spot of the sub or the box, but it hardly distorts at all, and the volume spikes is true of any ported system.

So...If you don't feel like reading this long post, buying the box that's tuned to 38 hz will work if you want to point and laugh as friends beg for mercy. (ask me how I know) but if you're going for SQ I'd try to get a box that's tuned a little higher.

9. mikey_d05

Oh yeah, one more thing, I'm guessing (I don't know how big they actually are so don't quote me on it) that choice #1 is tuned higher, it looks like it has a longer, and slightly smaller port.

10. mikey_d05

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

So would that 38hz box be okay for my app then ?? This will be going in the trunk of a 2000 Olds Alero. I will be running my amp at 4 Ohms only doing 350watts RMS.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What about this box ?? I might go with it just because it is made by kicker for thier L5/L7 subwoofer. It's a few bucks more, but that's no big deal. Won't be buying the box for atleast a month or better. Right now I'm just shopping around and asking everybody's opinions. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  13. mikey_d05

The last box would definitely work, it's pretty much an exact replica of Kicker's recommended street bass enclosure. Between the original boxes you posted, I'd need more specs to know which one would be better. I'd guess that #2 would simply because of the airspace. 350 watts isn't all that much to a 12" L7 so you're gonna need a larger box to make it a little louder. If you could bump up the power I'd go with #1. If it is indeed smaller (like it appears in the pictures) it'll give you a tighter response like a sealed box but you'd need to put more power to it to make it loud. Out of all three I'd go with the one you most recently posted. Or if you're fairly handy you could build your own, not too hard and if you have some MDF lying around it's almost free.

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Right now I'm just shopping around. I ran one of my L7's in a sealed box with my MMATS D200hc with the headunit powering the factory speakers in the last daily driver and it sounded pretty good. I just want a tad bit more till I can afford the JBL's too replace the factory speakers in the Alero and that Orion 8004 too power them. Once that's in, I'll go with the dual 12" L7's (in the dual L7 slot ported box I have in the bedroom closet) at 2 ohms where my amp does 700 watts RMS. But for now I'm just going too run one sub because a pair of them would way over power the rest of the system as it is.

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

16. mikey_d05

Both look good to me. Be careful when installing the fuse holder, the plastic on those styles seems to be fairly brittle, I've broken more than one. Hopefully you're happy with your new setup, and if not, I have a DD 9515 for sale :D

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

DD's are very good subs, but if I was going too buy new, I'd go with TREO's. By the way, what are you asking on the DD ?? I'll mention it too some people I know.

18. AudioMaster

AudioMaster Registered Member

Actually for all out SQ (sound quality) in a ported box you want to tune it as low as possible. 38Hz is actually a good tuning point for most of the music most of us listen too. it'll get a bit boomy around 40 hz but most people who are looking for louder bass prefer a boost at this point anyway. I currently have a 15l7 tuned to 18hz and it is absolutly awesome, I use it in my Home Theater. The only problem with L7s (if you think it is a problem) is how power hungry they are.

You will need to stregthen either of these boxes if you are going to run at higher SPLs. I would coat the inside with fiberglass resin if I were you. I installed one of these "ebay" boxes for a guy about a month ago and the box was great but rattled and vibrated. We applied a layer of glassmat at all the joints and coated the rest of the box with a layer of resin. It made a tremendous difference. The sound was like night and day with out all the coloration he was getting from the box.

Also, in a vehicle when you figure in cabin gain, vehicle noise and the the small amout of cabin airspace what way the port is firing is going to be of little consequence. Especially with the amount of air these kickers can displace.

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Here's the box I bought. I already installed the sub. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[​IMG] Looks right at home in the trunk of the Alero. [​IMG] [​IMG]