Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions, Please

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 3 on the tree, Oct 20, 2006.

1. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Here's the situation:
    I have a very straight, 98% rust free 70 K5. Some of you have seen it. I have taken it out on the trails 4 times. Stock it is not capable enough for me. I hate to tear it up, or do serious mods to it. So far, it is the only 250, 3 speed Blazer anyone here has heard of.
    I also have a 70 T Bird, 49K miles, but it has sat outside for 15+ years, so the exterior is in bad shape. The motor is in excellent shape (360 hp 429).
    I have located a 78 Ford F250 4x4 crewcab shortbed. The body is already beat up on it. My thoughts are flatbed it, put the 429 in it, lift, bigger tires, and make this my trail rig.
    Go ahead and flame, but I have no real loyalty to any one brand, just want to make use of some of the junk I have laying around.
    Should I just sell boththe 70s and use the cash to get something else to wheel with????

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Keep the Blazer and fully restore it, it should be worth some serious coin. With the $$ of that era muscle cars going through the roof, I can only see this as a natural progression. I like the idea of the F250 with the big block for a trail rig. Does it have a 44 or 60 up front? I've seen one special order (plow) 3/4 ton ferd that actually had 60's on both ends.

John

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

If the motor from the T-Bird is the original matching numbers motor, I wouldn't seperate it from the car. Even if the body might not be so good, It's still worth some dough to the guy looking for a project for restoration. I'd sell that as is.

The blazer, that's a toughy. If I had it, I would probably restore it, but it all depends on how much work you want to do. I might just sell it and use the money to buy or build something for the trails. 1st gen rust free K5's are getting pretty hard to come by.

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

It has a 44HD up front. The cab is one of the outsourced 4 doors with the weird spacer between the doors, so they could use four regular cab doors. 4 speed tranny, straight front axle, D60 in the rear.

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ditch the Furds!!

Naw, really I think you shouldn't trash the K-5.........to easy to find one for $500.00 or so and wheel it. Upgrade and modify the "new" Blazer/PU as you can afford. I bought the Afrika truck to wheel and be my DD while I fix up the '73 one owner into a purdy truck. Haven't done anything to the '73 yet, but it's there waiting and if I need a spare part badly, I can cannibalize it if I have to.

6. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Makings of a good trail rig right there.

John

7. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

You could always put some paint on the Bird and just sell it. The Burro has proved you don't need a big motor to go offroad. Keep the Burro and restore it. Buy a cheap Blazer or shortbed pick-up and use that for the trail.

I don't know Mike, what's your gut telling you?

8. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I say keep the burro and fix it back up. Not sure where you would be further ahead. Selling the T-bird and using the coin for a trail rig or swapping the motor into the F-250. By the way I think the 78 F-250 is the best looking of all the Fords. One for sale just down the road from me. Sounds like it has good potential and wouldn't need much for mods. Cut the fenders install bigga tires and wheel.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My advice..

I'd keep the 70 K5 stock,and as pristine as possible!--I had a 71 CST,and a 72 K5 years ago--I could get 5 grand apeice for them now if I still had them,and they were not "mint" by any means--I've seen worse ones sell for that much here without much haggling!..buy a later rotbox K5 to bash up on the trails,they are still fairly plentifull and relatively cheap!..

The T-Bird is a hard call...it might bring some good $$$ if you sell it thru a classic car ad like Hemmings Motor News..but there is a limited amount of enthusiasts for them,so it might take awhile before it sells..once you yank the motor out,its practically worthless--it would be a shame to cannibalize it if its not in that rough a condition body wise..

We junked many Lincoln Continentals at the junkyard I worked at--people wanted the 460/C6 drivetrain for trucks..but before it closed for good,the owner put a "best offer" ad in Hemmings for the remaining ones that were intact--2 sold for 1500 bucks!(we gave 35 bucks for scrap when they were brought in!)--none of them ran (but would with a little tinkering!)..I think if you sell the T-bird,you might get enough to buy the Ford truck, AND a motor!..:crazy:

10. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Don't listen to them. The K5 is crap, too old to be of any use. But, If you want, I'll GIVE you my 91' for it. The 91' is a 350 TBI and the last year of the body style, so it's worth much more. Just PM me if your interested. :surepal: