Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions sought on gearing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Muley, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Here is back ground then the question.

I plan on putting in a 350 in the near future. Has the 465. I will also install a 4 inch lift to handle 33's. A 14FF is in the rear and I will swapping out the front to handle 8 lugs, probably a D44. No real need to get a 60, other to say I have one. I do not tow a whole lot, when I would tow it would be a tent trailer or a couple jet ski's. I only mildly wheel the beast, which is usually just exploring out behind the house. This is my daily driver.

That being said I am interesting in what gearing to stick with. Should I stick with the 3.73's or move to 4.10's? There maybe a chance that I just say screw it and stick 35's with 6 inch of lift.

So what do you all think?

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I would go 4" lift, 35's and 4.56 gears.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

you dont need 4.56s with 35s... especially not with a 465... 4.10s will really wake it up with 33s.. and probably be perfect for the 35s if you did that... i have 3.42s in mine with 33s.. and its plenty low for mild wheeling and daily driving... i vote 4.10s for the 35s and 3.73s for the 33s

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Two questions:

How do you feel about the current acceleration/power with the setup you have now?

Are you trying to maintain similar highway RPMs or are you looking to maybe sacrifice a little there to get more oooomph around town and on the trails??

There is a very simple calculation that can help you figure out "equivalent gearing" when you increase the tire size. If you regear exactly to what the formula tells you, the truck will feel the same as it does now....if you go "deeper" on the gears, you can get more performance at the expense of highway RPMs.

5. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

1. Currently it is a pig when I get on any kind of grade, but that is because the 305 needs to be turned into a boat anchor.

2. I do not know why, but it scares the living hell out of me to run the truck at 3K down the road just to do 75 mph. Maybe I worry about throwing a rod throw the bottom of the oil pan.

Most my driving is done at 65mph and I turn around 2750.

The reason I am thinking about the gears is when I get an 8-lug axle for the front end, I want to pick it up with the gearing I need. That way worst case I only have to redue the gears in the rear.

The higher highway RPM's would probably not hurt in way of keeping me far enough in the torque curve to keep from boggin down on the hills. More oooomph wouldn't hurt either will all the extra weight that will be added.

I guess the best solution would be the 4.10’s and then swap in a NV4500. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Do you have a link to that gearing caculator? I have see it before, but can not remember where.

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i have 3.42s in mine with 33s.. and its plenty low for mild wheeling and daily driving...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because you don't have to climb any hills that rate past an ant hill.