Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions wanted-using 2 trucks for 1

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazinjimmy, Sep 6, 2006.

1. blazinjimmy

blazinjimmy Registered Member

Here's what I got: a '74 jimmy w/ '89 body & front clip, 350 w/350 tran, and 203 transfer case....has 3/4 ton running gear, 4.10 gears, 6in suspension lift, 2in body lift.[all runs fine]

Also got a '89 jimmy, body toast, was told the engine was replaced with a 305 w/ fuel injection, has a 700r4 tran, and a 241 transfer case. Has air cond. also. has Stock 10 bolts, no lift....havent checked gears.[all runs fine]

Now should I put my body and axles under the '89......or put the fuel injection/wiring and serp. belts on my '74/'89.

Just looking for opinions/ideas....curious to see what the majority says...............thanks.

2. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I would use the 74 body and put the best gear out of both in it. The 89 front clip (if it has dual headlights) would be nice. The FI, the serp, the 241, etc...

By using the 74 body, you will have an easier time with emissions in most states. A 74 where I live, has no visual inspection so you can put whatever you like under the hood. The 89, however, would be very strict on what can be seen under the hood. Like no cheap headers. headers here would cost me 300+ to be legal where a $99 set would do just the same but illegal...

Insurance may be cheaper too.

The full top is pretty slick as well :)

3. blazinjimmy

blazinjimmy Registered Member

[-Here's what I got: a '74 jimmy w/ '89 body & front clip-]

No,,,the '74 body is gone...and yes it has the small, quad lights. So when u say, use the 241.....guess i need to stick with the 700r4 so it bolts up?

Also the 305 fuel inj. will work fine with my 350 engine?

4. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

put the 700R4 and 241 in the 79. you get a lower first gear ratio, overdrive, and lower low range. A/C is always nice. the FI, depends on what you do with the truck. does it run good now? if so then why mess with a good thing. Swapping a body is not the quickest project. especially since you have two complete trucks to disassemble and one to reassemble. move the least amount of parts. think about how you are going to get rid of whats left. a whole truck minus trans/t-case that can be towed away or a pile of parts. good luck.