Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txguy, Oct 29, 2001.

1. txguy

txguy 1/2 ton status

Just curious as to what the rest of you would do? I have a 305 in a 85 Jimmy. Took a trip to Corpus and on the way down had the thing backfire a couple times. Then start leaking oil through the front main seal. Also, seems as if one of the valves/rods is making that metallic clank at idle, and just above idle. Sounds to me like I need to rebuild the top half now. I have had the vehicle about 2-3 months now. It does not burn hardly any oil. My question is, do I do a partial rebuild, valves, timing chain, and front main seal, or go ahead and spend a little more and get a rebuilt 350 and put it in. Or just let it keep running, til it does not anymore, and in the mean time save up for that 350 crate motor, I have heard I can get one of them for about 1400 bucks. Yes, most all of us would like that 454 big block, or more... But, I would rather have something in between for now that is running, and thus usable... Don't have the bucks for that 454, at least not a decent running one... Besides, if I did that, the tranny I am sure would bite the dust soon.

If I do replace that seal, is it just a matter of pulling off the pulley and removing the seal? The book I have says thats about all that is needed to replace it, however I have been told by a friend that I would need to drop the pan, loosen some of the mounts for the crankshaft, etc... About an 8 hour job overall... Anyone know which one is more likely the truth of the matter?

Thanks all.
    Tony

2. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

a rebuilt 350 is what i would do

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

If you have the $$, do the motor job now. Doing a partial job now just isn't cost effective <font color=blue>long term</font color=blue>.........besides you know you want a new motor [​IMG].

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

4. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

i would go for the rebuilt or crate 350 now! a quick fix will work but you will be throwing your money away.

5. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Go 383 stroker! You can justify it.

6. 85Jimmy

85Jimmy Registered Member

I am trying to find a 400 or 383 stroker to replace my 305 that's what i would reccomend

7. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

Depending if you have someone who will tow you home if it blows up I'd just keep running it and save up your money for the new 350. Doing that front seal won't be fun and really all it will do is keep you from putting as much oil in.