Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opinions

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Todd 91, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Todd 91

Todd 91 Registered Member

Found this for sale and here's the description from the seller. Worth the price? I'm not familiar with this year. Thanks.

This is the ad.

RARE 454(7.4L)BIG BLOCK Silverado K2500(3/4Ton)4X4 4L80e-AT, AM/FM/CASS Black/Silver ext. grey cloth frt buckets, 3rd seat, rear AC/Heat, PS,PW,PL,TW,CC, upper & lower consoles, no tears/rips, nurf bars, tow package, elec brake controller, HD brakes, duraliner floor/cargo mats. We have owned this good running above average rig about 1 year, added 10,000 miles, and pulled a camper 3 times.

This is the e-mail.

We have a 24' camper and I bought this truck about a year ago out of Cleveland, Ohio and wound up making only three 100 mile round trips. Handled the load beautifully, but have recently purchased a 98 Yukon to be more of an all purpose vehicle. We have put about 10,000 miles on this one. Drives straight, cruise works, and no rattles. Four wheel drive works good, shifts on the fly, and all indicators and gauges work.

This unit has heavy duty hydro assist brakes (ABS tests good), full floating 4:10, limited slip rear axle, and trailer tow package which includes transmission cooler and extra cooling fan, class III receiver hitch, standard 7 and 4 conductor trailer connectors, and electric brake controller which worked flawlessly with my two axle camper. The front rotors need to be turned, I feel typical shutter when applying brakes. I have not measured them, but new replacements price at about $23 each. Tires are about 2/3 and have lots of miles left in them.

I believe it has been repainted at some point before I got it. Typical GMs of these years have paint peel problems unless they were repainted. Front grille has been replaced (no bubbling). Top and sides in very nice shiny condition. Some paint peel/surface rust along bottom of doors on both sides (see last two pics), doesn't seem to be coming through from back side and could be easily repaired. Rear bumper has ding in it, but not real noticeable (see pic on very right edge below trim). Door ding on left rear door (you can see it in 2nd and 4th pic), but overall for a 93 it is in above average condition. Nurf bars are solid and paint good.

Interior is gray cloth, front electric buckets, rear split bench, and 3rd seat. Very good condition with no tears, rips, or stains. Factory front console plus overhead console. I am including a set of DuraLiner floor mats that cover the second and third row seats and the rear cargo area but not the front (standard factory mats). These run about $150 for the set. Factory am/fm/cass/equilizer stereo still sounds great, no speaker rattle. Have never tried the cassette.

The only wheels available for 3/4 tons were standard steel wheels with hub caps (shown in pics) or rally rings with center caps. I am including a full set of rally rings, center caps, and lug nut caps. They are not perfect condition, but they are complete.

454 (7.4L) big block starts easy, runs good. Ran compression test and all cylinders tested within 3 lbs of each other. Some oil leak from front main and exhaust leak up front around Y pipe or manifold. No smoke on start up or acceleration.

The heavy duty 4L80e transmission has had a shift solenoid replaced when it wouldn't stay in overdrive. It didn't slip, it was like you pulled it down into third but then you couldn't get it to shift back up. After replacing the solenoid and a filter change, it works perfectly.

I have replaced the starter, rear shocks, idler pulleys, battery (2 months ago), thermostat, spark plugs, frt 4X4 actuator motor ($100) and filters. Changed engine oil/filter every 3,000 miles, transmission oil and filter at 161,500. Last summer I replaced the AC compressor, flushed the lines, changed the orfice and accumulator, and had really cold front air but I couldn't get the rear AC to run cold. System converted to 134A but I tested things the other day and I have lost freon so the system has a leak somewhere. The rear heat works great, fan and mix controls work good.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, I'd tell you if it was worth the price - but I don't see the price listed. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    Sounds like the seller is VERY straightforward about the vehicle and knows what he's talking about. If you're serious about getting it - take it for a test drive. I'd listen for a clicking noise from the exhaust leak he talks about. I wouldn't worry much about the front main leak. Same with the AC. However, all of these can be seen as "flaws" and you can get him to knock the price down by seeing how much it will cost to get these fixed.

3. Todd 91

Todd 91 Registered Member

Doh! They're asking $6500 for it. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

4. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I'm assuming it's 2wd even thought the list it as a K2500?

5. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Ignore that last post /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif.
    I was thinking it was a '91, but I see it's a '93.

6. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Unless the mileage is really high, that seems like a good buy. Seems like people want 8-$10,000 around here for one that old /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Those go for about 8-10K around here so 6500 sounds good, Give it a once over. Just remember, every used vehicle has a few flaws. They're used, not new. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. holyjohnson

holyjohnson Registered Member

price sounds reasonable,ive seen similar sounding suburbans here (minn)for $5000-$6500 not sure what theyre going for in missouri.seller sounds knowledgable and attentive to the truck.
    id go and give it a look and check it over completely,drive it and test the brakes and see how hard the pull is.
    if its not what your looking for consider with gas prices going up more everyday more people will probably be selling theyre burbans.
    all in all a 93 c2500? 454 w/165k for $6500 sounds reasonable to me,not a screaming deal but sounds about fair.
    id still try haggling.point out possible work to front main and exhaust.
    get him down to $5500-$6000 and be about right for here.
    goodluck