Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

opinoin on a Ruger 25-06 rifle

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LKJR, Dec 22, 2002.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Ok guys I've been thinking about another rifle after the summer, like something I can hunt deer with. Be nice if I could go bigger but I want something that can adjust quickly from 50 yds to 100 yds. just as an option. Anyway the guy at the gun shop here, (seemed extrememly knowledgable), liked using the 25 06, bigger than a .223 and it's an extremely flat shooting rifle, had a deer he took from 400yds supposivly. The ruger is like $675 in the stainless/ synthetic format. But I think I can get it back home cheaper.

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I shot a porcupine with an 06 once. It turned it inside out. Its a good rifle. Maybe you can borrow one and go to the shooting range to see if you would like that kind of rifle or not. Of course, more guns are better. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The 25 06 is a good rifle. It is good out to 400 yds and beyond. But do you really need a rifle like that?? Why spend the money if you dont need it.
    You say you need a rifle for 100 yd shots. I would look into a .308 or .270 or 30- 06 they are a lot cheaper than a 25 06. And will do the job on deer just as well or better out to 300 yards or more. The 308 is a very accurate gun
    If you really think you want a 25-06 check out how much the ammo is. You might change your mind.
    As for the guy at the gun shop. LOL /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I think he just wants to sell you a expensive gun and ammo you dont really need. 700 bucks is way high for a Ruger 550 is more like it including a moderate scope.
    Stainless + synthytic Hmmmm . Dont really need that unles you are trying to impress people at the shooting range.
    Stainless is nice. It wont rust, you can abuse it, and it stands up to a lot of shooting well. But it is a little too shiny for my tastes in a hunting rifle.
    Synthitic stocks are good. The arent affected by moisture or changes in temp. like wood stocks. So your point of aim wont change in bad weather also it doesn't require the care wood does. But you can pay far less and get a very good gun with a synthetic stock.
    Before you buy look into Remingtons 700 BDLs and Whincesters model 70s(my personal favorite) too.
    if you want to pay 700 for a gun look into a Whinchester model 70 300 ultra mag. Nice gun for all North American game.