Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

opitions for 1972 blazer gas tank

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by equalizer, Jun 7, 2004.

1. equalizer

equalizer Registered Member

Currently in Northern Alberta. Soon to be heading
    Hey guys, I'm looking to fix my gas tank. It has a slow drip-drip leak, and when it's filled up to much, it leaks at the top. As I already knew, there are no aftermarket 72 K5 gas tanks. One opition I have is to remove the current tank, have it sandblasted, patched, and have a chemical coating baked inside and outside of it. The price is relatively reasonable so it is feasiable. What I'm really interested in is what other 72 K5 owners have done with their old gas tanks. More specifically, would a 73 to 81 model fit, or is there another weird model that might fit with just a little fabrication (i.e. with the hanging straps). Any advice would be awsome. At 96.5 cents a litre (more than 2.40 a gallon US), I'd like to have a good solid tank. Thanks again.

MarcD

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My first K5 was a 72. I ran out of gas more then once out in the middle of no-where. My tank didn't leak, but I was feeding a 454, low gears, and big wide tires. I ended up adding a set of saddle tanks from a 78 K20. Now with 3 gas tanks I didn't have the problem of running out of gas anymore.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

There are a few different models of tanks out there for 1st gens. The range from poly in the stock size to high cap. steel. If you do a search in the 1st gen forum you should come up with a few. I think Burt4x4 put in a high cap. one last year sometime.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

J.C. Whitney used to list new tanks for the early blazers,both stock and extra capacity--at least they did the last catolog I got a year or so ago--I think there must be some available somewhere.Maybe a tank from a chevy van or suburban could be stuffed in there--the filler neck is on the same side,they look close in size. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif