Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Opposing Bill S. 1766 section 803!! Must Read!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sparky87k5, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

clicky
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.enjoythedrive.com/legislative/contact_legislator.asp>www.enjoythedrive.com/legislative/contact_legislator.asp</a>

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Sent e-mail to everyone.

3. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

yes I read this to. funny they forgot to mention they (senators) collect and build old cars on this. It will never pass.

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Time to get some sandbags and turn the Blazer into a bunker.

5. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

Well our great senators from New Mexico and South Dakota, Senator Bingaman and Senator Daschle want your older cars and trucks! As Im sure many of you have read in the April issue 4 Wheel and Offroad on page 26 of Environmental and Political Beat, Bill S. 1766 section 803 would let cars and trucks that are 15 years or older to be CRUSHED!!!!!!!!!! I urge all of you on this board to write to your Senators at www.enjoythedrive.com/legislative/contact_legislator.asp
    to voice your opinion. Its bad enough that our favorite wheeling lands are being closed, but when they start taking away our cars and trucks too, there just going to far!

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah this is a biggie. Even SEMA is sounding the alarm on this.
    What this law would do if passed is the feds would back these programs. They would give a consumore credit for purchace of a newer car.
    Here are the problems. It uses OUR tax dollars to fund this.
    It sounds like it will quickly cut into our used parts suply.
    It's a crock. The amount of money these peopl will get for an older can is not going to get them into much. The problem then happes that many of these people may default on loans and further depress the economy.
    Writ your reps that you oppose this. Bring up it cutting into the auto hobiest busness in a huge way so it will hurt many aftermarket companies. Point out you don't like your tax dollars used to fund this sort of program.
    I'm going to make this sticky for then next 5 day's

7. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Sent emails to both of my Senators. I would just die if this passed. Could you imagine how expensive the cost of parts would become for our trucks? Not to mention the fact of how hard it would be to find them!
    Justin

8. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

the clicky helped, and that site is cool.
    sent email to all even my state people.
    we gotta make a stand somewhere, and this is as good a place to start as any.

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

All we can do is oppose this bill and let the government know how we feel about it. It seems to me that the big auto manufactures are tring to run our government. The bill is a waste of time and our tax paying dollers. If this bill should pass all it will do is hurt more then help.

10. Grim-Reaper

Well it's not only big auto it's eco. The thought is older cars polute more than newer ones. Less effecient. So backing is also driven by the sky is falling groups.

11. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

below is the response i received from the email i sent to my senator
    we may want to consider the impact a snail mail or phone call would have as opposed to email

"Dear Friend,

I was pleased to receive your recent e-mail and I appreciate your
    taking
    the time to contact my office. Thank you for sharing your thoughts
    and
    concerns with me. Please accept this response as acknowledgment of
    your
    message, and I will note your comments.

I recognize e-mail as an efficient means of communication.
    However,
    due to the extremely high volume of e-mails I receive each day, I
    am
    not able to answer requests through this media. If you are seeking
    assistance or service from my office, please submit your request
    in
    writing and mail or fax your correspondence. You may reach me at
    the
    following address and numbers:

12. johnnyK5

johnnyK5 Registered Member

Wasn't this subject the start of the original Demolition Derby all those many years ago?

13. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I will check it out and email as needed. Thanks for the info.

14. 2BLAZERS

2BLAZERS 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just sent my e-mails. Make sure you mention that if this passes you would not be able to by any american cars but that you could only afford Kai's.

15. 84Sierra

84Sierra Registered Member

I Emailed them all.

What they need to do is quit spending so much money on stupid stuff and cut taxes. People would then have more money and be more likely to buy a new car and the old ones would end up in junk yards and stuff increasing the supply of parts.

16. Grim-Reaper

When dealing with your Reps there is a pretty good chance that you will recieve a auto generated letter or e-mail.
    The way the system works for most reps is this. A person will read your mail/e-mail and then put it with like mails concerning a subject. In this case it will be compiled with this particular bill as opposed. Then some office person will give a percentage of the legistators people they represents feelings on the particular bill. So they will get a "65% of your people we heard from oppose this bill". When it comes up then the rep will have these figures and even if they are not familure with the bill they will have an idea how to vote to best represent their voters. Well at least that's how it's supose to work /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Don't feel bad when you get these form letters. It does let you know that your letter was recieved. Just too much going on for every letter to recieve a personal response. I have a stack of them.
    E-mail is wonderfull but a actual letter by snail mail does carry a little more clout. Don't get me wrong, if all you have time for is e-mail, do it. Everything helps when dealing with this stuff. This is the way the eco nuts have managed to cause such a ruckus. This is how we have to fight what we feel is wrong. It's a shear numbers deal. We must get every response possible in on our side of the battle. Your idea, e-mail, letter does make a difference when added to everone elses. Don't think you can't make a difference. You can by being part of the larger picture and taking that few minutes to say what you think.

17. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Perhaps this will make it easier for more people to submit to their Rep... Feel free to change it in anyway. Please send something to your Reps!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Dear [Insert your state's name here] Representative,

Thank you far taking your time to read this letter regarding opposing section 803 of Bill S. 1766. If this bill is passed auto hobbyists will loose vital sources for original parts, aftermarket vendors will inevitably have to close their doors, and auto parts chain stores will also suffer a significant loss.

These combined factors will certainly have an impact on the economy. Additionally, many people enjoy attending vintage auto shows, racing events, and collectors museums. All which produce revenue for the businesses hosting the events, the cities when the businesses reside, and bring in customers for many other businesses near the events.

While removing older vehicles from the environment may help reduce fuel consumption and emissions, many people can not afford to drive newer more efficient vehicles. Granted that people will be given incentives to “turn in” their old cars to then go out and buy new cars, what happens when these people begin to default on their loans once they learn that they can not make payments? This will also begin a negative effect on the economy.

Simply stated this proposed bill will take away from many American’s hobbies. I do not want to see my tax dollars spent to help this bill into existence. Please note my opposition to section 803 of Bill S. 1766.

Thank you again for your time,

Name
    Date

<hr></blockquote>

18. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

thats a great and easy cut and paste letter.Thanks Krazie! I hope everyone does their part by sending it to their state senators.
    Justin

19. Grim-Reaper

Sweet! Nice letter and too the point. A short to the point letter of this style is the best. Long letters they seldome get past the first page so hit on the strong points like Krazie did and keep it short.

20. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Heres another similar deal. Check it out.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.vehiclechoice.org/cafe/notow.html>http://www.vehiclechoice.org/cafe/notow.html</a>