Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

optima batteries Blue or Yellow?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazindorito, Dec 19, 2005.

1. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

I need yo buy a battery and wondering what to get? I will be running a Warn winch 1500 0r the 1600, stereo with an amp, and off-road lights. I also want to do dual battery. Should I buy the blue top Optima or the Yellow top? What do you guys think would be the best set up? Thanks in advance for any input

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

There's many many opionions on this. It comes down to what you want.
    If you think you need or want dual batteries, there are a number of ways to hook 'em up.
    You could get one yellow and one red, or 2 yellows, or 2 reds. You could have the stereo & lights to one, and starter to another. Hook them in parallel and have twice the juice, or buy those solid state switches to switch your dual battery mode from one or the other to both.
    I like yellow tops, they are just as good at starting as a red and have the deep cycle capability so when your camping and running the laptop off the inverter in the back you don't need to worry about running the battery down.
    Do a search here and on google and you'll find hundreds of ways to hook up dual batteries. Think about how you want to run and which batteries to be active running what accessories at what times.