Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Optima batteries

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Sep 21, 2000.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I've decided I'm going to buy a redtop Optima. Where did y'all buy yours at and who had the cheapest prices?

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

There is a place here in Richmond, Virginia called batteries plus. That is where all my friends have gotten theirs. Dont know if there are any around you or not. They had the best price in Richmond. Correct me if I am wrong but I think Pep Boys can order them. I know they have the battery isolators to run dual batteries.

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

3. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    I don't know how hot it gets up there in Kansas, but if you are buying it for the 2 year warrentty in a hot cimate
    they don't last any longer than a good Flooded Lead Acid Battery. I have seen them do some amasing this, but
    they still don't like the hot climate, espeacilly if your underhood temps are high(read Headers). If your near
    a G.I.Joe's they have them on sale for $99.00 thats one of the best prices that I have seen, they may ship
    them(Portland Oragon based sports and auto parts deep dicsounter).
    Good luck

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the advice Ex. Yes its hot here. We had over 20 days in August over 100 degrees. That was kind of extreme though. Anyways, my question is, what kind of battery can I get that won't mind the heat, but will perform well? Something like a DieHard gold maybe? What do you have?

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmmm, I have never had any issues with my dual Red Tops, ANY!! I live in Central California and 105 during the summer is normal, mostlly we sit around 98 as an average temp all summer long. I use the Hellroaring batt. Iso./Combiner and both my Red tops are working GREAT with 0 issues EVER!!
    Oh ya and I got mine at a place called Trogen Batteries fer $110.00 each. I have seen adds at at other places for as much as $150.00 so shop around!!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I have an Exide battery with Heat Guard technology. I have headers (ceramic coated, though. Shields heat), and I've been through some severe hot weather to the point that fuel boils in the lines giving me a hard time starting, but the cranking power was always there. It was way cheaper than ACDelco too.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

7. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

i recently purchased an optima, but it isnt really an optima. i mean it has the same optima spiral cell technology, but discount auto parts sells them under the champion battery name; called the vortex battery. instead of the top being red and the body black, it is the other way around. the top is black and the body is red. the price is the same as well as the warranty, but i like the idea of having some place local i can take my parts back to if they fail.
    hope this helps,
    MTPockets.

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Interstate makes the Optima battery, if you go to your local interstate dealer and ask about their extreme series batteries, they should be able to hook you up. The sticker on the battery says interstate, the molding into the casing says Optima. I just picked one up for $121.00 about a week ago, red top.

Advantages to doing this:

*interstate dealers are EVERYWHERE, if you have problems it won't be hard to find a dealer
    * prices run about the same
    * and #1 reason in my book, the interstate optimas offer a 3 year free replacement as opposed to a the 2 year one.

Might make a difference when your battery goes belly up at 25 months.

Hope to Help

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blaze- 350/350/203, 14B w/detroit, D44, 4.11s, 4" susp, 36" TSL

9. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I got mine from NAPA for $125.I have had no problems with heat or anything else.Will crank forever!!Brady