Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Optima Batteries

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JoeAngelicchio, Feb 5, 2001.

1. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

For those who own one, how long have you had one or how long has it lasted as compared to a regular battery?

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG]

2. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

I don't have one in my Blazer, but I had one in my RX-7. It was great, better every where, and I had it for only 3 years it was as good the day I sold the car as it was when I bought it. It recharged faster, never went dead (big stereo, and flooding problems I tried to drain it more than once) cranked the engine faster, etc. etc. If you would loan me the money I would buy another with out a doubt. And yes it was worth the extra money.

Displacement, cubes, and did you say you drive a riceburner???

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'll tell you like I tell everyone. Get the Interstate sealed battery. They make the optima, it's the exact same battery with different stickers. The Interstate has a lot better warranty and you can find an interstate dealer anywhere in case of a problem. That's what I got. I love it.

Bryan

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    I love my SAWZALL!!!

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

We were having problems with the lead/acid batteries in our loaders. Went to the Optima batteries and quit having problems. I've got one in my Blazer now and it's worked fine.

Smitty

5. So that Interstate battery is a spiral cell and can be mounted upside down, sideways, ect.... and has 830 CCA, and a 6 year warranty? I just put a dual battery set-up in my 2000 Z71 and used the 800U Red Top Optima. Lots of JUICE !!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A buddy of mine just had to replace an Optima in his Land Cruiser. But it was NINE years old! He's sold on Optimas now. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Have had them for about 12 years now and only had 2 go out in that time. Stronger that the other batteries. I love it!!!!!

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

BigBurb, same exact battery. Mine has optima molded into the case with an interstate sticker on top. They both have a prorated 6 year warranty. But the Optima has a 24 month free replacement, and the interstate has a 36 month free replacement. Plus you can find an interstate dealer anywhere.

Btw, nice to see you around again. Haven't noticed ya in a while, maybe I've been looking at the wrong posts.

Bryan

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    I love my SAWZALL!!!

10. I've been around, just not alot of posts. So how much difference in price are they?

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

11. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Bought my yellow top last march or april. Great battery cleared up all my electrical problems(that I dont cause myself), always starts no problem even started my truck right up after it sat for 3months has all the juice I need to run all my aux. Today I gave a guy a jump with my truck off and his cars been sitting for a couple of months.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

12. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

Just bought one for my blazer, but the jeep we bought for my wife has one with a purchase date of 92. I didn't believe it, but from what I've been reading I'm starting to think different.

MY K-5 DOESN'T LEAK... IT JUST MARKS ITS TERRITORY.

13. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

I have had my Yellos Top for about 6 months now, I LOVE IT!!! I have run it dead twice though...once when my distributor puked on teh trail and i had to turn ti around and get it down a hill on teh starter, and once i left my interior lights onand didnt drive it for 3 weeks, it ALMOST started after 3 WEEKS! It runs my winch, big stereo, big lights and whatnot flawlessly. I am sold on them.

Theres No Replacement for Cubic Inches!

14. northgate

northgate Registered Member

AC Delco now has an Absorbent Glass Mat battery that is superior - yes better - than the Optima battery. It is called the Professional Platinum. It can be mounted any which way like the Optima. It can be purchased in a couple of different sizes (not just dual terminal). It has a seven year warranty (first three years free replacement). I haven't got any on the shelf yet, but I was told by my distributor that they were oing to be around $150. AC Delco has always had the best batteries (I've sold them all), so I have no reason to believe this battery will be anything but the best. Check out their site:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.acdelco.com/parts/bat_cat_set.htm>http://www.acdelco.com/parts/bat_cat_set.htm</A>

15. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If there's a Montgomery Ward anywhere near you, get over there quick and look in their automotive department. With the current going-out-of-business discount you can get the Optima with a Champion label stuck on the outside for $89, instead of $139. That is if there are any left. I got to the store here too late. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>