Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Optima batteries

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hustler, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

What do you guys think about Optima batteries? I might be getting a sponsorship from them for fishing and if so, I plan on asking for both batteries for my boat and a battery for my Jimmy also since that is what I use to tow my boat.

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I love them, been running them in my Burb for two years now and no real problems.

I plan on getting a red top and a yellow top for my van in the near future here too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I've been running a red top for about 5 years now. I like it... /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I love my optima. When the batteries on my parents car went I replaced them with optimas since I am there mechanic. I ran a red top threw a decent winter in Colorado last year and it never left me without juice. It has made it threw 2 Arizona summers too. No problems. I am sold on Optimas. Love them.

Harley

5. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Im using a red top in the Jimmy, its about a yr old, love it so far. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I run dual red tops in my 86 diesel, and a single in my 78. Both have served me well. The diesel even started one /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gifmorning I forgot to plug it in. It was about -15.

7. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I got one in my Blazer and one in my Chevelle. They are great.

8. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've been running a red top for about 5 years now. I like it... /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, 5 years is a long time for a battery. Whats the warrenty on those batterys?

9. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think that it is 5 years free replacement.

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Mine was a 1 one year free replacement(from the store, I don't know about Optima's). This is the best damn battery I've ever bought. I got it at "Batteries Plus" for about 100 bones. I've drained down to nothing twice, both times by accident. I just set it up on the trickle charger over night and it was good as new. It doesn't stay cold here very long so I'm not sure how long it would survive in cold weather, but its lasted TX summers(100+ degrees and 90% humidity all summer long /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). I got my money's worth out of it.

11. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I run dual batts, but have 1 yellow top. Have had that batt for maybe 3 years now???

Anyhow, my rig has been trail only for over a year now, and just sits there in the cold winters. I try and start it once a week or everyother, but sometimes I forget to. I let it sit for a month or more sometimes and it still fires right up...It may struggle starting sometime, but never needed a jump. So, I'm a believer...
    Boss

12. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I got 1 red top in the Jimmy and 2 Blue tops in the boat. I probably never use a different battery. The extra $$ are worth it to have a much less chance of being stranded somewhere.

Mike

13. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

there GREAT batterys I ran mine for about 10miles with my lights on when I threw the my alternator belt and still got home, then I put it in my dads car and it even started his car after trying to be drained all the way home... I wont run anything but a Optima any more /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

never had a bit of trouble with my yellow top /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

1. I think Optimas and the competitive batteries that are similar are total trash.

2. Optimas have a three year free replacement/5 year prorated warranty.

16. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

I run dual blue tops on the truck. Great battery!!!!!

17. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    1. I think Optimas and the competitive batteries that are similar are total trash.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why is that? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why is that? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Constant complaints from customers that bought them and brought them back for replacement and said that they wanted a refund and were going back to a plate type battery because they would never own another AGM again is the reason I think they're crap.

I have yet to see a single discharged one take a recharge, either.

The rep from Johnson Controls told me that's just the nature of the design. With no free acid, they sulfate quikcly if discharged and not immediately recharged.

19. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

I thank everyone for their input. Looks like everyone except one says they are great. Well, If I get the sponsorship and able to get 3 or 4 batteries free for my boat and Jimmy, I should love the batteries.

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've met both kinds. You get customers that swear by them, and some that come back and say they'll never buy an Optima again. Honestly, it's about a 50/50 split with those batteries.