Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Optima battery Failure (rant) anyone else?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cavalry, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Ok I am a little tweaked right now.... got in my trail rig, she started hard 'cause she hasent been run in a few weeks. Drive to Walmart batterys dead wont start. Get a jump get home, check the voltage about 12.5v at idle. Figure its a bum alt. jump it the next day to drive it to my shop. Amp gauge is pinned out at 60a+ (charging) Pulled the cables off alt is putting out 14.5. Battery is toast.
    This battery is a year old redtop, on a recreational seasonal vehicle. Optimas site dosent even tell what kind of warranty they have they say "consult your vendor for warranty info" Glad I bought it through summit. Between the shipping and I'm sure a prorated adjustment it probably wont even be worth replacing. I plunked down a extra $50 for this super battery and what the hell did I get out of it. Sorry for the rant but....

Does anyone else have optima problems?

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yep, had a bad one myself already also...and my brother has had two replaced by 4WParts already...I keep hearing bad things about them (but when does anyone say much except when there is bad news?) When they work, they are great, but seems to be some of us who get bad ones too often...

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Don't like them. I think they are WAY over rated. I have seen several fail. Simular deal. Just for no reason dead and would not charge. Seen the side terminals burn off whit winches hooked to them. some have a 12 month warranty some have a 24.
    I hit my local zone and got a 1000cca Duralast. 3 year replacement 8 year total warranty no questions asked. $40 cheaper than the Optima. My truck is some times parked 2 weeks at a time and never gave me a lick of trouble. Starting it after 3 years.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i had my redtop for about a year and it went bad i took it back they have a 1 year store warenty so they exchanged it for me i upgraded and got a yellow top because of the winch and its been great ever since /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I don't like the Optima's ether.. I've worked for Sear's,and bought a couple of gold batteries from them. They alway's give me the "better" deal. If they die, I have a warranty,and don't pay a thing. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

The Optima documentation says not to hook a winch to the side posts. Only the top posts...
    I really had my heart set on an Optima, but now I am reconsidering.
    Anyone recommend the batteries sold at Sams Wholesale?

7. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i have had good luck with the excide sprial battery...its been in the truck for almost a year and never have had a prob...not even a week start

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I've had my red top for about a year and a half now with no problems. *Knocks on wood* /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

9. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, I don't recall ever seeing this info about not hooking up the winch to the side posts? Where did you get this information?
    I have had mine hooked up to the side posts for about 2 years with no problems (so far)...have used the winch numerous times, did
    I just get lucky??

10. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Here is the link. It is under the "Battery Installation Tips" section. "Connect high amperage accessories such as a winch to the top terminals only. Do NOT use the side terminals."

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

thats what I bought

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If I read that right, you pulled off the battery cables while it was running? IIRC that can or will burn up the alternator diodes(? trio?) and while it will still work, diminishes the alternators capability. FWIW, I've heard that multiple times.

Besides, you can measure output voltage right from the terminal on the back of the alternator.

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Off-topic but what in the hell does 'IIRC' and 'FWIW' stand for??? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

14. mudhog

not sure about the iirc but the fwiw is
    for
    what
    its
    worth
    /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

15. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

For what it's worth but I'm stumped on the other.... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

If
    I
    Recall
    Correctly

17. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I have a less schwab 4x4 battery and It gets some hard voltage drains with my winch I have draind it 7 times and it still tickin and plus it has the famous less schwab warrenty on it to.
    Colin

18. mudhog

aaaaahhhhhhhhh thanks /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

19. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I like my Exide Orbital (spiral cell). It has been deep cycled a few times (I am a moron!) and is still kicking 2.5 years later. I can run my stereo all day and my lights up front for a while too.

20. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

That clears things up..... /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif