Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Optima battery's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheBlazerKid, Jul 25, 2000.

1. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

Optima battery\'s

Im gonna get anb optima battery in the next week and I was thinking yellow top because i have off-road lights and plan on adding a lightbar with 5 more soooon and aslo i plan on having a stereo system also but i was wondering if the red top would be enough...pros/cons/experiences would be helpful thanx

Your right I dont understand the jeep thing!?

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Optima battery\'s

It depends more on how you use your truck more than what type of stuff you're adding to it. Upgrading your battery will only really help you when the engine is off. If you want to be able to run your offroad lights for a while with the engine off, a yellow top Optima is a great idea. If most of your use would be with the engine running, go with the red top. Its up to the alternator when the engine is running. So if you want to do it completely right, upgrade it too... Depending on how many amperes your stereo/lights are going to pull. In the next few months I'm going to get a red top Optima, 140-160 amp alternator and 2 gauge battery cables. That way if I ever add more lights or a winch, I'll be prepared.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have two Red tops and a 120amp alt. and they are all controled by Hellroaring iso/combiner and control unit!!
    Very sweet setup!
    Anyhoo before I added the second red top and combiner I NEVER had any issues with my red top! I could let it sit for two months while my rig was torn apart working on the drive train and the motor would crank all day just like a freash battery!! it's been 4 yrs on thet first red top and I have NEVER been able to run it down. It allways has turned over, after a night of running the stereo at the campsite and stuff like that! I am trully an OPTIMA fan and customer for life!!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

5. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

I bought a Red top Optima. I heard it was the best battery available. I've had no problems at all.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

6. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Can't help much, but have a related question. I understand what the difference is between the red and yellow, but does anyone know what the blue top one's specialty is? Thanks.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's

7. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Blue is a mrine battery. When i went to p[tima university , a couple hour meeting, I learnd that is basically the same as a yellow top, iyt just has marine connections. They are both deep cycle batteries. I run 3 yellow tops and have not upgraded the alternator. I also dont use an isolator. Never had a problem. I've been running optimas for years now and swear by them. It is always the first mod i make when i buy a new vehicle.

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. NEW AtlassII being installed