Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

optima hold down brackets

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rubbinz raczn, Feb 25, 2005.

1. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

i will be running dual optima red tops mounted on frame at rear of truck in front of fuel cell. i will buy or fab trays for them,but does anyone know of a stout hold down bracket? i have seen a bling aluminum one for $100 but i don't think so:deal: i just need a sturdy setup with no worries about losin them when wheeling! any pics? thanks!:D

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

No pics, but I used a 2" nylon cargo strap on my battery for 2 years. Passed PA safety inspection twice, battery never moved.

3. rubbinz raczn

i am looking more for a welded steel setup! it's gonna be bouncin!:yikes:

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I think it's Autofab.com that sell the best one I've seen. A simple flat plate that sits on a diagonal on the top of the battery. Has small ears bent to go down each side about 1/4"-3/8"' and a stud hole near each end. Those holes line up with the 'V' btwn the round cells. Drill a hole thru the flange of the battery case and slide the studs thru to the matching holes in the baseplate.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

poly perf?

[​IMG]

dont have one myself, but all poly perfs stuff is bling bling. They cater to comp buggies, so I assume its built to "bounce" around...

j

6. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

7. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

this one is by spidertrax. I beat the crap out of my truck and this is what i use. I actually have my batter mounted on its side.

www.spidertrax.com

[​IMG]

8. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

This tray took about 20 minutes, made with scrap aluminum and those generaic metal tie down strap things with the wing nuts. This battery is not going anywere

[​IMG]

Credit for the tray goes to MrK5 :cool1:

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Obviously you haven't driven a K5 on a bumpy highway with bad shocks and stock springs that have settled to within an inch of the bumpstops........ THAT'S BOUNCIN'!!
    I think my K5 spent more time on the bumpstops than off when I was still driving it...

10. rubbinz raczn

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I don't know how the later model K5s looked as far as a factory hold down, but the 1st Gens use a small plate at the very bottom that grabs the "lip" of the battery and secures it. You sort of wedge it under the statonary lip and use the opposing clamp to cinch it down. It works great except that the Optimas have that strange cylindrical construction, so the clamp can't grab onto anything.

I made a cardboard template of the shape of my Optima, cut it out of a small piece of scrap steel, and shaped it to fit perfectly. I like that there are no clamps or brackets on top of my battery. It makes a great little shelf for keeping my tools while I'm working..........and makes a fabulous welder when I accidentally get a long wrench touching both posts!! :yikes:

12. rubbinz raczn

any pics greg? yeah i have done a little welding like that also:haha:

13. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Not offended at all... I was just trying to point out a cheap, safe, legal alternative to spending $50+ or custom-fabbing something. A 2" cargo strap is generally rated around 5Klbs, so if your tray is sturdy but your battery still gets loose (assuming you didn't run the strap over a sharp edge), the battery will probably be the least of your worries.

But hey, diferent strokes for different folks, right? :cool1: