Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Optima or Exide Orbital?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Ok, went and did a search and read a lot of differing opinions on batteries. But, I have narrowed it down to two Optima red tops, one Optima red top and one Optima yellow top, or two Exide Orbital batteries for my two new batteries I need. I'm running a CB, stereo, and 9.5ti winch and maybe some extra lights, on top of the usual stuff. Opinions? Oh, and that last choice should say "battery" not "better". Damn thing won't let me edit the poll questions.

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

why not just 2 yellows? Whenever I get $$ for 2 batts and all teh extra crap to put on 2 batts, thats what im going to go with.

3. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

I use(d) a red top....no probs, tossed it around, beat on it, and ne'er a problem. But I'm naked....

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I have a red and a yellow, the kick a$$....When I first took the poll it took me to the results and under that was a post started by Steve about some embroidered baseball caps, anybody else get that quirk....:confused: :confused:

5. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Yeah, me too. WTF?

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

AGM batteries suck. Just get normal plate/acid batteries and do yourself a favor.

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I vote 2 reds. (poll doesn't like me :( )

Mine are 800cca and cost the same as the 750cca Exide.

The red is meant for starting/cranking and is designed to take constant charging.

The yellow-top is deep cycle. It's meant to be run right down before its re-charged. If you mix battery types, you should have the deep cycle isolated ( solenoid, isolator, switch, etc). Consider how often and long you are using battery power without the vehicle running.

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I do have mine ran on an isolator and can run the **** outta the tunes and still fire the truck up with the red....:saweet:

9. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

A recent four wheeler magazine had a comparison of a bunch of sealed batteries. I think in the end the only difference was the cold cranking amps.

10. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have run the same excide orbital in my s10 for around 5 years. It is just getting to the point of needing to be replaced. I have deep cycled it more times then I should have (I play the radio when I work on it of the K5 and other stupid things). If you search on the net you can pick them up for a much better price then red/yellow tops. If I didn't get the last 2 batters for the k5 for free I would be using an excide orbital in it as well.

12. blazen86

blazen86 Registered Member

How about somebody make a kit for the older chevys so we can all bolt on two batteries, I mean with all the lights, amps, and winches we need some more juice

13. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Went with the two red top Optimas. I heard that Costco had them but I didn't want to make a trip unless they were the right ones. I called down there three times and spoke to a complete incompetent every time. I kept asking what the model number was and they kept coming back with "It is a type 13". "No, is it a 75/35? or is it some other model?". Same answer no matter who they sent back there. I gave up. So, down to Monument Auto Parts to check on their prices. Low and behold they are $119 a piece. The Exide Orbital over at Kragen Auto Supply was $130 a piece so I think I'm ahead of the game.

Keep in mind that 4WP has them advertised for $90 a piece, but I didn't feel like dealing with waiting, or driving to San Jose to get them. I pick them up and I'm happier than a pup with two peters. Then the missus and I hit Costco the next day. $%&*!!!! :mad: #$%^&* :angry1: They have the 75/35 in stock for $99 a piece. Well, I took the other two back since I hadn't opened them yet and picked up a couple from Costco after all. They carried the blue tops too, but not the yellow tops.

14. dcell152

dcell152 Registered Member

dual batt.

the 6.2 diesel came with dual batt. You should be able to order the harness. My 84 had that set up.

15. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

You mean like GM? :D

You can get all the parts you need from your dealer or LMC. There's a different set for 73-80 and for 81-91, but there was a factory option for a second battery on all trucks.

-- A

16. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

You can get the other battery tray from LMC ('bout $50 IIRC). Do yourself a favor, though, and make your own battery cables out of welding cable. I've got an '87 C10 with a 6.2 in my driveway as a parts donor, and GM's dual-batt wiring is a disgrace. I've seen people use heavier-gauge wiring to run a decent-sized stereo amp...