Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Optima or Exide Orbital??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90blzr, Mar 4, 2005.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Need a battery. I have used optimas in the past. A few were great and a few were junk. Might have been a bad batch or? Noticed they were bought out in 2000 so maybe things have changed since I got my junk ones.

Anyways, the Exide seems to be about the same thing, although it doesnt say TOTALLY sealed, and it says you can mount them in ALMOST any position, whereas the Optima says SEALED and in ANY position. Neither one of those are too big of a deal to me though.

The Exides are a little cheaper too.
    The Exide also offers a much better warranty-
    Optima is 12month free replacement, 12 month pro-rated
    Exide is 18month free replacment, 36 month pro-rated

Anyone run the Exide batteries or have experience with them?

Or should I just go with another Optima yellow.

Also, who has the best prices on them? Checked out ebay and most end up being the same as local once shipping and handling is added on.

Thanks!

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Exide can offer you whatever they want for a warranty. They're in bankruptcy. Once they go completely under, the first thing is that there are going to be no more warranty claims, just like what happened to Johnson/Evinrude outboards years ago when they went under.

I'd pass on anything Exide. Johnson Controls make good batteries in general--but I just don't care for the Optima.

I believe the Optima has a 2 year free replacement/5 year total warranty, you may want to check again. The marine and deep cycle batteries have lesser warrantys, I know that.

3. RustyMule

RustyMule Registered Member

I had an orbital in mine for a few years. It was great until I didn't start it for a few months. Never worked right again.

4. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Go with the Pro Comp series of batteries. I run them in my diesel tow rig, buggy, and Jeep. Never had a single problem. 4WP will always warranty them if they have a problem, regardless of the policies of the orginal maker. I pulled the Optima out of the Jeep to put a Pro Comp in.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think those are Exide batteries.

6. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I've heard that the Pro Comp batteries are Exide also.
    As far as Optima Warranty goes:

Blue top...18month free replacment + 18 month pro-rated
    Yellow top....12 month free replacement +12 month pro-rated
    Red top...36 month free replacement + 36 month pro-rated
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/font][/font]
    [/font]

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I believe you are right. Surprisingly, in my area the Exide Orbital at Kragen was quite a bit more than the Optima. I was also able to pick up my Opimas from Costco for less than $100 a piece.

8. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Hmmm..costco huh?

I actually found a yellow top optima in the garage (found a NP205 too:cool1: ) and just took it to the battery systems place. Its about two years old and dead. Been sitting for about 9 months. They are gonna put it on there SLOW charger and see if they can bring it back. It was showing 3 volts when I took it in. They said they bring them back all the time. *fingers crossed* He said something about the home charges alot of times wont start actually charging if they batteries are under a certain amount of volts. It will act like its charging, but its not:dunno:

P.S. Desert Rat...sending ya a pm

9. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I believe you are correct. Due to my drunken haziness this morning, I couldnt remember who made them. The point of my post was that 4WP will warranty them even if something does happen to Exide. They are great batteries, better than Optimas, IMO.