Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Optima Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cbbr, Aug 6, 2005.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Obviously, I have a dead battery.

Last week it was "what kind of battery" the majority, by far, seem to run optima's or that style of battery. Red top, yellow top, blue top and the many variations of each - What are you running and why?

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I run red tops in the truck... they are automotive type

blue tops (deep cycle) in the rv...

never used the yellows

red 100
    blue 140
    costco... free 36 month no hassle new battery replacement

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I have dual red tops.

The red is a cranking battery. It's meant to deliver huge amps for short periods.

A deep cycle is meant to be run at light/moderate load for long periods, and then recharged.

Don't mix'n'match them unless you have an isolator or some other battery management system in place.

4. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I run a yellow top, its expensive, but ive had the truck off, and kc lights blarin' for 30 minutes or so, got in, and it was like i just turned it off. If you are just looking for a reliable battery, then go red top, if you run a lot of electrical accessories, then go yellow, deep cylce batteries make a big difference.

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I run a dual red setup in my DD, I've killed the whole system once (don't ask) and they recharged fine. I've also blared my stereo for 4-5 hours at a bonfire and it cranked like nothing ever happened. We run a blue top in our boat and it'll run all weekend without problems. When I get around to it I'll probably run dual yellows in the trail truck. I like a lot of things about Optima's, they're completely sealed (although that's not all that unique anymore), they've outlasted most of the batteries I've used, and they're just plain tough as hell. Marine applications are more of a testament to durability than people realize. Pounding a hull against a good chop all weekend is as bad or worse that 'froading in terms of shock to components.

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i run a yellow top because i have a winch lights and stereo system it has never let me down

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I have dual red tops. I got them from Costco believe it or not and they were under $100 for each.

8. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

I have a red for starting power, eventually with lights and a winch I will add a yellow.

Jesse

9. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I have a redtop in one truck and an exide orbital in another. Both good batteries.

10. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I was originally going to run dual yellow tops, but I think im gonna run dual red tops. I don't think the deep cycle batteries are meant for quick bursts of power, like starting the car and winching. I have read that from several places. Heres one:

(From 4wp website)

Red:
    http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/prod...PER&prodline=125&catName=Performance&man=OPTI

Yellow:
    http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/prod...PER&prodline=126&catName=Performance&man=OPTI

I have heard a lot of good things about them, and no one I know who uses them has ever said a bad word, except a little on the expensive side for batteries. But hey, were in the wrong hobby for a cheap way out. :D

-Randy

11. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

I don't know about all these colored tops and such. I just run a champion Trailblaser 820CCA

i've got nothing but good things to say about it.