Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Optima Red Top Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kookydoright, Apr 19, 2006.

1. kookydoright

kookydoright Registered Member

i have an 85 chevy swb with a 350. i just put the red top in my truck and now my amp guage in the cab goes down to red! i can start the truck unhook the positive and the guage goes up to normal if not a little higher, but when i reconnect the cable the guage drops. my alternator is fine and doesn't squeal. anyone had a similar experience? thanks

85 swb,350,700R4,np241,10/12 bolt,4",33's

2. kookydoright

kookydoright Registered Member

when the truck is running the guage reads right above 8 which is in the red. thats almost to weak to roll my windows (electric sh!t) up or down. but it always starts, like it has just enough to do that! i don't have another battery to hook up and try. does it sound like an alternator problem or battery or some other mysterious gremlin?

3. 87350blaz

87350blaz Registered Member

Low amperage readings can be caused by a faulty battery, alternator or other charging system component.

i think the auto parts store can test batteries with and w/o a load on them, i say i think because i tried taking a battery down to one once and one of them looked at me like i was crazy for asking, had to get someone else to come talk to me:crazy: .

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Did you charge your new batt before you installed it? Due to the fact that some batts may sit for who knows how long, when they leave the factory, I always stick 'em on a charger overnight, or for a few hours or so just to 'top 'em off" so to speak.

Take the batt to the zone or some other place that can check it. That way if it's faulty, it can be replaced under warranty. Eliminate that, and go from there.

5. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I :dunno: but I would check the wire from the starter to the middle/top firewall that wire causes alot of troubles.
    If thats the problem get a new one from the battery to the firewall.
    And while your at it check all your ground wiring too.