Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OPTIMA sidepost hook-ups for a WINCH?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTPockets, Sep 16, 2002.

1. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

would like to find out your experiences with this subject. is this a big NO NO or what...

thanks in advance!

2. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Big Huge No No. I currenlty have 2 red tops. Had a Ramsey 9500 hooked up to the side mounts, and melted the lead completely off the battery, had a tough time getting Optima to warrantee out the battery.

For everything else they are fine, but not for the winches in my opinion.

Just my .02 worth. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rob

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

everything i have heard is that hooking up anything but yer starter to the side post is a NO NO.

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Glad I read this one!

5. harry

harry 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure I understand the reply's on this. Are you guys saying not to use an optima for the wench? Why would the side posts hookups be any different than the top ones? I was planning on using a yellow top for my 9500. It would be great if somebody could shed a little more light on this.

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have two red tops and ALL of my truck's power comes from one battery. I am using the sideposts for the entire trucks power but my winch is hooked up to the top posts on hte 'main' battery. Duno why the side post would be a no no unless it has something to do with the type of batt connector being used. I am using the clamp style side post connector that you simply bolt/clamp to the batt cable of your choice(Not the premade ones) could that be why I have had absolutly no issues?? Colud be the pre-made siidepost ones that don't hold up to all that amprage?
    HHmmmmmmm??????

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Back When Rob was here in Atlanta we have seen SEVERAL Optimas melt the side post out. The top posts are right to the plates. The Side post comes off the top and then down to the side. It has a standard nut that is captive in the lead. Well it doesn't make the best connection cause those fools that make that battery are using a zink plated nut. It starts create resistance and heats. Then it melts the lead and pulls out. If they had used a harder lead and tapped it like most side posts are it wouldn't be an issue. If they had used a copper nut it porbably would have been fine but when you use a Zink plated $1 for a 100 nuts and put a couple hundred amps to it you get problems.

8. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

I think the side posts dont have enough contact to the connector to support the amperage a winch pulls. The top mounts have plenty of contact therefore less resistance.

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Nut?? What Nut? Do you mean the bolt that screws the sidepost to the battery?? If so my batts didn't come with anythig. I am using the copper side post post that enables you to hook terminals too, are thoes ok?

10. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

is this for any battery that has top posts and side mounts?

11. Grim-Reaper

The nut is IN the side posts of the battery. It's the threads that you put the bolt into. I know what they have because after it cooled down when My bud melted his off we got to looking at it. Rob was there for that....We were DRAGGING KYLE FROM KMA out of a mud hole he sunk his truck in LOL. It ultimatly totaled the truck.

12. Grim-Reaper

Might have an issue with that. If the Lead had a nice big contact area for the copper side post you put in it then you might be ok but after what I have seen I sure wouldn't hook a winch to the side of one. Accessories like lights and stuff... yeah proably ok. Might even get away with the started because you don't lay into it but for a very short period of time. Winch that gets stalled is drawing over 400 amps.
    Right from Warns Web page for a HS9500i.
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    12V DC PERFORMANCE SPECS:

Line Pull
    Lbs.(Kgs.)
    2000(910)
    4000(1810)
    6000(2720)
    8000(3630)
    9500(4310) Line Speed
    Ft./min.(M/min.)
    62(18.9)
    16.3(4.97)
    11.8(3.60)
    9.31(2.84)
    7.59(2.31)
    6.67(2.03)
    Motor
    Current
    47 amps
    160 amps
    230 amps
    305 amps
    370 amps
    425 amps
    Pull by layer:
    layer/Lbs(Kgs.)
    1/9500(4313)
    2/8650(3927)
    3/7920(3595)
    4/7400(3359)
    5/6940(3150)

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ehhh that didn't transfer well. At 6k it's pulling 305 amps at 9500lb on bottom wrap it's pulling 425 amps!

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

everything Grim said is correct. Here is some info from Optima's web site:
    "Battery installation tips

Ensure that the battery is properly secured in the vehicle or equipment to prevent movement or vibration wear. Do not over tighten the hold down bracket, this can damage the plastic case.

Connect high amperage accessories such as a winch to the top terminals only. Do NOT use the side terminals.

Replace any cables and connectors that have corrosion, rust, or other damage.

Do not install batteries in a non-ventilated or sealed compartment.

Do not lift or handle the batteries by the terminals.

Do not over tighten terminal bolts, the following values are recommended:SAE automotive terminal:50-70 inch-lb.Side terminal (3/8" nut):70 inch-lb.Threaded stud terminal:120-180 inch-lb."

Do not hook a winch to the side posts, only the top. They even tell you not to.

14. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

AHhh my bad Grimm, I just reread you post and the nut INside the lead! Got it!! Sorry man!
    Good Info fellas! Even though I haven't had any issues I may plan to get my acc off the sidepost and/or move the Alt wire &amp; starter to the top!!
    Great Info!
    Late