Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

optima... which one?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chevy409, Jun 10, 2001.

1. Chevy409

Chevy409 Registered Member

There's a yellow top and red top in the optima batteries... what's the difference besides price? Is either one better? Need to buy a new battery soon so any advice or info is appreciated. Thanks

2. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

The Red Top Optima is a starting battery. It's designed for quick bursts of energy for a short time duration. Completely discharging the Red Top can cause permanent damage to it. The Yellow Top Optima is a deep cycle battery. It is designed for a steady power drain over a long period of time and can be almost completely discharged, without causing damage to the battery. To help you determine which battery is best for your use, we need to know how you intend to use it. Do you have a high power draining stereo, a winch, or high wattage off-road lights, etc? It would also be helpful if you filled out the rest or your profile.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I've had my red top in for about 8 months now with no problems. I just use it to start the truck and not for a winch, stereo, lights etc.

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "The longer you wait in line, the greater the liklihood that you are standing in the wrong line." [​IMG]

4. xtreme_wlr

xtreme_wlr 1/2 ton status

Personally, I use the yellow top in my truck. Never had a single problem with it. dont have a winch on the truck and rarely use the off-road lights. Yellow top works just fine as a starting battery for everyday use. Both the red top and the yellow top are good batteries. Descide what you want to spend and go buy one.

78 Chevy 1 ton Stepside RockCrawler
    468 BB, SM465, NP205
    D60 front, GM 14Bolt w/ Detroit
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bowtiecrawler.com>http://www.bowtiecrawler.com</A>

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have the red top one in mine and i do use a winch and off road lights and have hade no problems with mine

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Like I always say....get the interstate. They make optima, it's the same battery, with a better warranty and easier to find dealers locally to cash in on that warranty. Look into it.

<font color=red>Sherman, Tx
    "I'd Rather Be a Fencepost in Texas than the King of Tennessee" -Chris Hall
    TEXAS COUNTRY PRIDE
    </font color=red>

7. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What are the CCA ratings for the Optimas...?
    I will go try to find a website.

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

8. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

Got a red one on mine and I run my stereo a lot with no probs. I'm sure both are top notch.

9. Chevy409

Thanks everyone

Gandolf: Yes, I'm putting a winch in and have a few extra lights. I also want a battery with atleast 800 cold cranking amps though so by the sounds of it, I need one yellow AND a red (d@mn).

laketex: Are the interstate batteries the same as optima in construction (gel inside, can mount anyway, etc.)? What are one of these things gonna cost me?

Thanks again everyone. 96C4and91K5 read my mind though, what are the optimas rated for cold craking amps?

10. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    800 CCA, but I have seen the red top do about 1000 Amps. at 80 degs F.
    The red tops seam to like to start Deisels.

11. 2Dogs

Specs are linked under the pictures:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.optimabatteries.com/main.htm>http://www.optimabatteries.com/main.htm</A>

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

12. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

And they have 36 month FREE REPLACEMENT guarantee and a 72 month prorated warantee. 800 cold cranking and 1000 cranking. No probs with my red top. Optima says the yellow ones are also good if you vehicle sits for long periods of time in between driving it. I have the yellow top in my El Camino and it has sat for 6 months and started right up.

13. Josh

Josh Registered Member

If a yellow top will start your truck then I would get that, the higher cranking of the red will only help in very inclement weather. The yellow is much more durable. I have several, one was on my Caprice w/ 1k watt stereo and has since been in 3 other cars, with several discharges over the last 5 years or so, it just keep chuggin.

14. 2Dogs

I am installing dual batteries (the switch, cables, and controller from NW power should arrive today :)). I currently have a high-output AC Delco as my primary.
    I will have a winch in 6 months also.
    So - would everyone agree that I need to get a Yellow top as the auxillary?
    Thanks

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

15. Josh

Josh Registered Member

I wouldn't mix and match different ratings of batteries with each other. They will load on each other and try to "level out" and you will have some wierd stuff happen. If I'm not mistaken usually you would use an isolator when running multiple batteries, however I read somewhere that someone from optima said not to use an isolator with their batteries. I know that vague but maybe they have some tech help that can calrify that.

Josh

16. 2Dogs

Thanks! I will now investigate that.
    The controller I am getting has three settings - one for connecting the batteries and the others for switching primaries I think. So I better check it out.
    I'll post the findings.

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

17. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm currently (no pun intended) running dual red tops with a Hellroaring Isolator/Combiner. This is one AWSOME setup. I'm completely happy with it. I did a lot of research on this before I decided and have no regrets. I'd go with the yellow top if I were you. Plenty of CCA for starting and lots of capacity. If my primary starting bat (red top) EVER dies I'll replace it with a yellow and keep the other red top as my starting backup battery.
    Hope that helps...

James

79jimmy@home.com

18. Chevy409

thanks again everyone, I think yellow's got my name on it since I plan on winching. I'll let you know how it goes...

19. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Unless Interstate's come out with a new style battery, it's nowhere near to being the same thing as an Optima. (just try to mount you interstate upside down) Don't get me wrong, interstate makes good stuff, but Optima's a totally different animal. read:spiral wound gel-cell.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]