Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Optima

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am looking to get an Optima battery. I have a few questions. I was thinking about a Yellow top, but also a Red top. Currently I don't have any offroad lights (will in the future), a big stereo, or a winch (yet). I am leaning toward the Red top for $ reasons. I am moving to Colorado, and I am also looking to make sure it will handle the cold better, and have all the cold cranking amps I will need. Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks

Harley

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have had both (curently a yellow top) and have liked both of them i do have a stereo system a winch and lots of offroad lights and have had no problems /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I have a red and yellow dual system, but I would recomend a search on the Optimas, some people have had probs... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Hey Harley...

I love the Optimas but they are a little rich for my blood, esp. since I need 2...I am going to get the Exide Orbital...I get them cheap through Napa and they are a sweet battery for the price...Just my $.02

Chris

5. Geno

Geno Registered Member

I have had my red top for over 6 years and it is still going strong, the best thing about them is they do no corrode the battery terminals, or rot out your battery box. I even broke the hold down going through a field, the battery fell on its side on the fender well , arced, melted all the lead out of the side positive terminal, that happened three years ago!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

I have 6 ofroad lights, 1400 watts stereo and a winch and an optima yellow top. it works spectacular EXCEPT when it sits it goes dead. even if its only for a weekend. and i have searched endlessly for a draw and can not find one.

7. dduckblazer

dduckblazer Registered Member

Remove the carrey handle. So its not so easy to steal and walk off with. Like mine was. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

My red top does the same thing!!!! Dies when it's cold and sits for a while 5days or more , also no draws!!!! This is the second one in the truck, first one just crapped out completely!!! let me kow if anyone out there has similar problems!! ..................CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

remove on of the battery leads and put a test light on the battery lead and the battery if there is a short the test light will light up. Then remove one fuse a a time to find the draw on the battery.
    Don't for get computer and stereo memory is always on so unhook them first before you start

10. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Hey there Harley
    I would say go with the Red Top it's only 119.95 at 4WP
    If I could aford one thats what I'd do. I ran one in my FJ-40 and beat the hell out of it it lasted six years. The only thing I didn't like was it was hard to recharge after a long day of winching, But maybe the 100amp alt had something to do with that.

Eric

11. eastk5

eastk5 Registered Member

I've had my red top for over seven years and when i bought it from a friend it was already two years old. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

My red top only crapped out when there was a draw. Since I put a battery disconnect in my truck, I can let it sit for weeks (or a month) and have no problems. Course, it's not cold here, so there's no drain on cranking amps from temp drops.