Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Optimum Drive Line Angle?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmyjack, Jun 29, 2001.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Optimum? Optimum????? Sounds weird. After i did my shackle flip I noticed that the drive shaft is in almost perfect alignment with the differential. The yoke going into the t case is at a different angle. Not severe but they are supposed to be equal, right? I was told its best to have the rear angle down a bit so when the shaft spins it allows the diff to torque upward. Ive also heard the opposite. Can you help me out?

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"

Jim

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Your pinion and tcase should be within 2 degrees of each other for non CV shafts.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

So, would it be more "optimal" to shim the rear end or the t- case? I'm really tired of cranking u bolts!!

Jim

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

If you haven't lowered the tcase yet, do it. If already then, shim the axle.
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

What steve said is the acual factory spec and should be followed as closely as possible for optimum u-joint life and to reduce vibrations. There is also a maximum operating angle, but I can't remember what it is right now.

Shiming the pinion angle down a bit more than the t-case is also a good idea. As the axle houseing rotates and pinoion tries to clime the ring gear, the u-joint angle will also change. So shiming the pinion down -1 deg or so- will bring it back into line as load is applied to the gears.

Shim what ever you need to to get the angles right. Probably lower the T-case first then match the pinion U-joint to that. Kinda sixes though. Eather way you go will probably end up at the same place.

We've been fighting u-joint angles alot at the dealership with lifted silverados, they have a vibration off the line. We have been installing lift kits at the dealer on brand new Silverados, and they sell -fast! - Hint G.M.!

Twiztid

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

The t case is lowered, I will shim the pinion and see what happens. My u joint is a little shaky, nothing major. It vibrates more at 45 than it does at 75. I had my rear tires rebalanced and had 4 oz removed!!!!!!! Hopefully shims and a u joint will fix it up.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</A>
    Jim

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Get a CV shaft! End your problems. If I go up any more with my truck, I'm getting one too. Mine is a shortbox, so my wheelbase is about 11 inches longer, but I still need it.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles