Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Optional tire sizes?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FinnDRZ, Sep 14, 2006.

1. FinnDRZ

FinnDRZ Registered Member

First, thank you all for this great site!

I would be very happy, if someone could help me. GM dealers in Finland could not..

I have a 1982 Blazer (VIN 1g8ek18c4cf1*****), and I would like to know what was the biggest optional tire size for this car, or any K-5 model. Not only factory options, but also some dealer options.
    Why I'm asking? I'm building offroad truck, and it must be street legal here in Finland.
    I would like to use as big as possible tires, but the tire size could be only 2" bigger than ANY optional size.

....please forgive my spelling...

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i believe the biggest tire was 31x10.50

3. FinnDRZ

If anyone has some "official" document available, I must show some paper to our local authority.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

5. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  6. FinnDRZ

There is no door sticker, and no RPO list inside the glovebox...

7. Slapperbar

FINNDRZ Blazer...I pulled the last 5 outta my azz.(serial)
    Model year: 1982
    Made by: General Motors - Blazer/Jimmy
    Drive: 4WD
    Engine: 6.2L diesel V8
    Series: 1/2 ton (10/15)
    Body: Blazer/Jimmy
    Plant: Flint
    Serial #: 112345
    GVWR: 6001-7000 hydraulic

8. Slapperbar

Here's the optional I found 235/75R15 = 28.9" x 9.3"

9. FinnDRZ

Thanks!
    But that is not big enough... as you know :)
    I'd like to have 35", but 33" would be just ok...

10. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

11. FinnDRZ

Thank you everybody!
    Still haven't found document which is good enough for our authorities...

Maybe I'll have to stick with 33" on the road, and have another set of tires for serious offroad.

But anyway, thank you for all of you! This is a great forum.
    :waytogo:

12. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Here is the RPO code for

GM PRODUCTION OPTIONS

RPO DIVISIONAL RPO DESCRIPTION

10-15 /B (4 PR) TRUCK TYPE. MAX TIRE CAPACITY EACH- FRONT (1760) REAR (1760)

Poly Ply Blackwall
    Front............................................................ 8.00 .... 30 ... 0 .... XWR
    Rear............................................................. 8.00 ..... 0 .. 30 .... YWR
    Spare........................................................... 8.00 .... -3 .. 18 .... ZWR

Poly Ply White Lettering
    Front............................................................ 8.00 .... 30 ... 0 .... XWS
    Rear............................................................. 8.00 ..... 0 .. 30 .... YWS
    Spare........................................................... 8.00 .... -3 .. 18 .... ZWS

This information I got from my "Restoration Package" that I got for my '78 K5 from GM. You may want to contact GM and ask for a "Restoration Package". This will give you all the RPO codes available for your vehicle. That would be your best bet. The package will come from another company but it is from GM.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  13. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have a 1987 so I got my resto pack out and two of my Helm OEM service manuals. Here is what I found.

resto pack:
    Standard (5) P215/75R15 All season steel belted radial

Front and Rear Tire Availability Chart - All States
    P215/75R15
    P215/75R15 Whitewall
    P235/75R15
    P235/75R whitewall
    P235/75R15 White Lettered
    *31 x 10.50R15B
    *31 x 10.50R15B white Lettered

*Requires N67, N90 or PA6 wheels

I can scan the page for you if you want. I didn't find any thing in the Helm books I have the owners manual and one more book but not here.

How do I get the Chevrolet Restoration Pack?

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]This free packet from Chevrolet Motors is the ultimate reference for your old truck. Have your VIN number handy when contacting them for this free pack.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Chevrolet Motor Division[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]General Motors Corporation[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]P O Box 7047[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Troy, Michigan 48007-7047[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Phone: 1-800-222-1020[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]When you get through. Ask for a "Restoration Package" (it's free in the USA). They will want your Vehicle Identification Number and year for your truck. The restoration package they send includes complete engineering specifications for your year truck, and also a very long list of parts vendors for classic Chevys.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]NOTE: The USA Restoration Pack will NOT give you specific information for your individual vehicle, but generic info for the model year of your truck.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]For our brothers to the north in Canada, you should contact:[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]GM Canada Vintage Vehicle Services[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Phone: (in Canada) 1-888-467-6853, between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. EASTERN time. (Outside Canada 1-905-644-3387 or 1-905-644-4060).[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Unlike the US Restoration Packs, GM Canada charges for theirs; however, unlike the USA version, you WILL receive information specific to your particular truck. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]The cost is as follows:[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]For vehicles 1963 & older: $25.00 (CDN) + GST & PST (Ont.)[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]for 1964 to current vehicles: $45.00 (CDN) + GST & PST (Ont.)[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Once again, those prices are in Canadian dollars![/SIZE][/FONT]

14. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I have never seen a 35 that actually measures 35 inches. they are all 33 inches. Same goes for 33's and 31's. 33's are really 31 and 31's are really 29.

Makes very little sense to me. I have measured several and it looks like all manufactures are in the same marketing scheme that computer moniter manufacturers are in. Go measure some and see for youself.

Just put some 35's on and bring a tape measure with you and show them they are only 33 inches. You would not be lying... Maybe they will take the measurement for what it is...