Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Options For Buggy Frames...

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by mikey_d05, Nov 5, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

This would get more responses in the garage but you guys seem to know what you're talking about quite well and not every person with a brother's cousin's roommate that owns a half truggy will respond if it's in here.

I've recently been entertainting thoughts of building up a tube frame. I love the K5, but I'm scared to dig deeper into it because of the piles of rust I've been finding. Somebody spray bombed the frame in an attempt to disguise it and I didn't look closely enough to catch it before I bought it. I honestly don't think at this point it is worth putting a lot more money into this truck for parts that I can't take with me if I put the drivetrain in something else.

This is my situation:

I have limited fabrication skills, some access to a very well set up shop (SDSU's mechanical engineering shop), a limited amount of help from other students and professors, and not all that much cash.

I do not have adequate storage space for my trail truck the way it is, so the chassis would need to be able to be set up easily. I.E., make motor and trans mounts, set up suspensions, put the axles in kinda thing. I do not have time, money, or resources to customize it before it's running. I have no problem with it not beeing wheelable for a while, but it would need to be able to move under it's own power pretty quickly.

I'm a huge fan of the X-chassis. I like the looks, it seems very versatile and easy to set up. I also like the Poison Spyder line, although quite a bit more expensive. The X-chassis also has quite a few parts pre-engineered for it saving trial and error when setting up the suspension and a few other things. Cost is pretty much the most important factor, but quality won't be taking a back seat either. I've always loved the looks of the Avalanche Sniper chassis, but I don't dare ask how much it costs. Although the terrain around here is mostly muddy and steep, it appears as though the strongest and best engineered buggy's are designed for rock crawling, so that's what I'm looking at.

If this happens (I'm deciding between a tube buggy or a new DD in the next year or two) I will swap over the drivetrain and axles from my current vehicle. (1-tons, TBI 350/700/241) with a few modifications to keep it affordable and build from there.

Any and all opinions are more than welcome. I'm often too timid to call the manufacturers because I won't be purchasing a chassis in the next 6 months and would rather not waste their time. Sooooo....please post up thoughts, experiences, and any knowledge you might have on the topic, it would be much appreciated.

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've seen your thread and the ORD piece and it rocks, but my frame is in pretty bad shape. I figure if I'm gonna have to pull everything out of the old frame anyways, I might as well just go all tube. Although it'd probably be much easier to set up if I used another K5 frame.

If you don't mind me asking, does Stephen have a rough idea on the pricing yet? It's definitely a tempting option if I can find a rust free frame around here.

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I thought he said something around 3500. in another thread, but would have to find where he said that.