Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Options for camping heat sources in vehicle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jonny290, Nov 10, 2006.

1. jonny290

jonny290 Registered Member

I'm a big fan of cold weather camping, and my new (to me) 77 K5 will be perfect for this. One thing, however, is that it gets cold, and my blazer gets 6 mpg right now; as a result, running the heater is not an option for warmth. I'd like to install some sort of catalytic heater in the back, propane fueled.

1: are there any catalytic heaters designed to be installed in vehicles for such a purpose (auxilary heat)?
    2: Am I going to need crazy safety devices to meet DOT standards?
    3: Bad idea, good idea?

Thanks in advance.

2. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

was thinking of the same thing the other day. I have an aux heater I may put in the rear of the 71 but I would like to find something that doesn't require the engine to run. Maybe something off a bbq propane tank or 12v battery

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

look for a colman power cat, it uses propane and does not have a open flame, they also have a small fan to push the heat out, they really put out a lot of heat more than eoungh for a k-5

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

5. jonny290

jonny290 Registered Member

Cool, i'm gonna grab a small portable catalytic heater to test out this weekend on our first trip of the season.

6. RockinChevy

RockinChevy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have one of those Coleman catalyic heaters and runs on propane... I used it on the coldest nights of AZ winter which the coldest is 26 degrees and it kept me warm along with the 0 degree sleeping bag.
    I had to leave all windows open a crack so I could breathe a bit.
    This got me thinking of those good ol days when I practically lived in my Blazer for 8 months from last year's Halloween to the first week of June. It was cool since I only used the shower at work and saved a bunch of money from living costs.
    I am thinking of doing the same again this winter if my roommate sells the house..... maybe I'll just start some f**ked up **** with her then she'll evict me sooner then I'm free... hmmmmm....(brainstorming some ideas)

7. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  8. jdemaris

jdemaris Registered Member

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Mr.Heater..

I see our Pep Boys sales flyer has the "Mr.Heater"on sale this weekend for 89 bucks..I'm very tempted to buy one,but hesitant,because I've had other propane heaters that were a joke..

I'm using one in my shop now that screws onto a 16 oz. propane bottle that looks like a reflector for a lamp,with a mesh grid that glows red to produce the heat..its OK for mildly cold nights,but anything below 50 or so its only good for a handwarmer!..it will heat up a pickup cab,but wasn't much use in my van--neither were 1500 watt electric heaters..not enough BTU's!.

I want to see how others who have used the "Mr.Heater" style ones think they work before I dish out nearly 100 bucks,I can use my wood stove for free if I go round up some wood!..but they are slow to warm up the shop..

I've seen more than one van around here with a stovepipe sticking out one window that was removed and replaced with sheet metal!--though I doubt its legal,many "homeless harry's" are doing that to survive our long winters,for heat and cooking purposes..

I'm going to rip out the hot air furnace in my garage--its too expensive to run,and its old,I had to weld up holes in its rotted firebox 6 years ago,now its control box is junk,got all rusted from water leaking in the flue pipe--so I'm looking around for a better source of heat that will quickly heat it up ,so I wont have to wait for a wood stove to heat up--.

I tried a borrowed 150,000 btu propane heater,but it wouldn't run on a 20 lb bottle without it freezing up--I guess it needs at least 100 lb bottle,and you have to lease them here--another hassle!..I am curious about those "Patio Heaters" I see in Home Depot,maybe they would be the answer??..they run off a 20 lb bottle,and throw a lot of BTU's..

Personally,I don't think its safe to have a propane or electric heater in a vehicle..though I've used them myself many times..you see too many horror stories about people being suffocated from carbon monoxide, or the van catching fire during the night..sometimes a good sleeping bag is much safer!..(a warm woman would be even better!)...:crazy:

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

11. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Good to know, That's the one I posted earlier from summit.