Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

options for the front axles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Nov 22, 2002.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Well I found a 14 bolt 8 lug rear axel out of a 78 for $150.00 today. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifdont know what gears but i can swap them if nothing else. What are my options for the front axel besides building up the D44? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif$1000 and up for a front dana 60 is absoloutley out of the question. What do i do to change the d44 to 8 lub? unevenness will drive me crazy! also do i have to move spring and shock mounts on that 14?

well i found a 14 bolt 6 lug for $35 besides price is one better than the other?

thanks again for all the help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Nathan

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

You should be able to find all the info you need if you do a search.

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

ok i did a search and found out that i might have to swap my shock mounts if it was a 2wd. some said that i needed to change the perches around. whats the difference? What is the difference between a 14ff and a 14sf besides 6 and 8 lug?

thanks

nathan

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

ttt

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Thev SF has a C-clip just like the 12 bolters where the FF does not. I personally think the FF is stronger.

6. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i dont do rock crawling just mud and street. do you think the sf will work fine?

thanks

nathan

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It's not even a matter of thinking that it's stronger, they are definately way stronger.

the only thing that a SF and FF 14 bolts have in common is the 14 bolts holding on the diff cover, which is where they get thier name. The SF has a smaller ring gear and smaller diamter axleshafts, as well as being a semifloater. The difference between a semifloater and a fullfloater is in the way that the axle supports the weight of the truck.

On a SF, the axleshaft supports the weight of the truck via a bearing in the end of the axletube that the axleshaft rides on. The wheel bolts directly to the shaft, so the entire weight of the truck rests on the shaft.

In a FF, the axleshaft's only job is to turn the wheel. The weight of the truck is supported in the same way that it is supported on a front axle. There is a spindle, and a hub goes onto the spindle supported by two large bearings.the axleshaft slides throught he middle of the spindle and is held in place by bolts in the flange of the shaft that bolt into the hub. that is the reason that a FF is so much stronger. </font color>

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It's a good upgrade over stock, but not as good as the FF in my opinion.

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

as SF can't be as strong as a FF in ANYONE'S opinion.

10. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

maybe i can find a ff cheap enough.

are ther any distinguishing factors besides lugs? is 8 lug guarenteed to be a ff?

is ther ff kit like for 12 bolts/

thanks

nathan

11. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

a 14BFF will look like this:

[​IMG]

also, here is a link to a page with what the covers will look like. you want the 10.5" Ring Gear 14 bolt

Pics of Diff Covers

12. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

cool thanks

nathan