Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Options for Top Cab on 78 Blazer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by demon, Jun 9, 2002.

1. demon

demon Registered Member

Its hard for me to tell but I think the top cab on my model year ends over the Driver seat, so I guess without chopping I cant go full convertible. If I did want to go full convertible does anyone know of options for new tops? I suppose I wouldnt be able to keep the rear seats if I did that, or maybe I could? Any suggestions would be nice.

Secondly - The top that's currently on it looks really bad, like nasty. Apparently the previous owner didnt take care of it. Is it possible to get a new one from some after market place if I didnt want to go convertible after all?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The 73, 74 and 75 models were all 'full convertable'. You might be able to find info on doing the 'chop' using a search, but I'll give you the readers digest version anyways.

The easiest way is to find a 73-75 being parted out and remove the windshield frame and buy the topper off of it. If you can buy the doors even if they are rusted or dented up, it's much easier to have some 'templates' around for when you need to cut your own doors. The idea is to reinforce your body with a cage or something and then chop your roof and windshield frame off. Then graft the 73-75 winshield frame on to your truck. Then cut your doors just like the 73-75 doors...
    Some people add a small bar inside the windshield frame for added strength...

You'll be able to keep your back seat...and you'll be able to bolt up the full convertable topper.

Hope that helps.

Rene

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

4. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

i have a windshield frame allready cut from a 75. i was gonna chop mine and never did it. if you need it, I got it.
    (socal)