Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

options on "stretching" a Blazer???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5-newbie, Mar 1, 2005.

1. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

I know some of you have stretched the wheelbase on your blazer and I was wondering how you did it and if you have any pics. Also, Is there a way to do it without lifting it anymore...mine sits about where I want it.

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Mine is stretched out to about 117" or 118". For the rear, I have Ford 57's mounted backwards... moved the rearend back a ways... 6" or so. Then on the front, I have 52's w/ offset shims to move the frontend forward 3.5". White-Rhyno runs the same setup that I do, but he has 56's instead of 52's, but the axle is in the same spot.

3. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

well crap...I just bought Tuff Country springs and put them on...is there any way to stretch it with my existing springs?

4. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

the ord zero rates will give u allow you to move your axle 1.5 inches forward or backward. longer springs like poohbair said will do the same. if u want alot more u could move the hangars to stretch the wheelbase.

5. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about moving the hangers, I don't really like my shackle angle I have now. will the zero rates raise the truck ( I assume it will) or just move the axle? How hard is it to move the hangers?

6. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

the zero rates do add an inch of lift. moving hangars i dont think is hard ive never done it but a few have and it doenst look to hard. if u want to stretch the back out some get some 64'' chevy springs and move the rear hangar back some. that will add one some wheel base. whats there to wheel up in huntsville my family has a ranch there. also one in crockett. whats fun up there ive only been on our property.

7. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

they just opened a 700 acre park here, it's mostly flat but there are some decent hills. this is my first 4wd so I usually go ride with friends at Shiloh Ridge and Gilmer.

8. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

ha awesome yall should come down to spring and wheel and spring creek. fun and its free i think its still free if u drive in what u wheel, if not its 10$ loads of trails, mud, hills, sand just about everything. lots of fun

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Dude, just drill new holes in your perches for your springs center pins. Its good for and inch in the front and back and its pretty much free (if you have the right bit). Thats how I moved my rear axle back a bit... combined with a 52" spring swap, thats 4" of "stretching" and hardly any $. Not bad.

j

10. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

wow thats just about the easiest thing ive ever heard i never even thought about that. i might have to use that idea thats pretty cool. o but another idea for zero rates if u want that inch of lift is www.jkwoffroad.com he makes alot of good stuff from what i can tell. a little bit cheaper than offroad design but the exact same. also if u tell him the degree he can mill in a shim to your zero rate so u get 1" of lift, relocated axle and have a better driveline angle. sounds good to me and the price is good to 35$

11. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I was at spring creek last year for the tuff truck deal right after I bought my Blazer (it was a pile of crap then :)) but I heard the recently they are not letting people ride anymore

12. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

no they still are i was there a few weeks ago some dude got murdered real close so a main road that was owned by the toll road district was closed for awhile but it reopened and my friend just bought a ton of spring creek so wheelers for sure own it. also the texas water law is in effect so if the warden is out there stay away from the water its a 200$ ticket. o for an undate for anyone that will be attending the super truck shootout this year the spring creek mud freaks plan on having it sometime in june. as i get more info ill relay it here.

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

56" mounted backwards would give you ~4" more wheelbase.

14. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

I just dont want to get different springs since i just purchased my tuff country springs.

15. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

how much do u want to stretch your wheelbase? what size tc springs do u have and how old are they?

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

buy a suburban?

you get two more doors too:D

17. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

6 inch front and a four inch shackle flip with a 3" spring in the rear, and they are about 3 days old :rotfl: I would like to stretch it about 6"...I am seriously thinking about moving the shackles.

18. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

52s up front, with a zero rate, should get you about 4" and the reversed 56s out back should give you 4" as well.

19. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

u could definetly sell that lift kit pretty easy. i can ask some of people i know with k5's if there interested. but 56's in the rear is the way to go. i flexed my frame out the other day and with just a bare frame got the tires up to 41'' prettty good for no weight. i got my 56'' springs off of a 1/2 suburban 4 leaves and 1 overload. flex real nice i dont think ill need to modifty them. total came out to 60$ for them.

20. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You can move the rear axle rearward by moving the spring hangers 6-7" without worrying about hitting the gas tank. Since you already have the springs that's the route I'd go. If you moved the front springs around you'd have to move the rear shackle mount which means cutting another huge hole in the frame.