Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Orbit Eye springs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbone, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Mudbone

Mudbone Registered Member

Just wondering how many folks are using these and why they aren't more popular. I remember the Toy guys going nuts for these when AOR came out with them. Now Alcan owns the patent and can make them for anything. Short of using something like the AK57, they seem to be able to get the most flex out of a leaf spring set up. The new Alcan ones are capable of 46 deg. The popular thing now seems to be going to longer springs. This seems to be just as easy, you have to install new brackets either way. And you could do both, longer spring with the orbit eyes at the same time. Other than cost, (I am assuming they are expensive, I haven't actually called Alcan.), is there some big drawback I am missing?

2. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

i saw those too and was very curious about them. just decided for cost reasons to just do the longer spring thing. although once my truck is finished, on the ground and running and all the bugs ironed out i was going to pop for a set of custom springs. maybe then i will look into them.

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

the problem i see with them is that they are pretty expensive. the joints themselves are like $60 a pop. so four springs with eyes in both ends would be just $480 for the eyes. then throw on the price of custom springs, and the fact that the original orbit eyes are like 3 3/4" wide, which means they may or may not fit your frame, makes them super expensive to do.

i had diy4x add a currie johnny joint to his flip and switch. much cheaper.

[​IMG]

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

My initial reaction would be that the longer spring is softer in torsion, so there is a lot less stress on the spring bushings.

The orbit eyes might be a good solution for someone who is forced to use a shorter, stiffer spring.....but I think once you get into the long springs the problem isn't really there anymore.

5. Mudbone

Mudbone Registered Member

What good is that johnny joint in the rear if the front of the spring can't articulate the same way? Now you are twisting the spring on its long axis. Which increases the spring rate and probably isn't good for the spring. I would still use the flip kit with orbit eyes. Then you would be using shorter lift springs which would be cheaper and softer.

6. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Don't revolver shackles allow this kind of twist as well or are they just designed to unfold for droop?

7. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

at the same amount of droop or compression, the spring would have lest twist in it, because one end was allowed to rotate more freely. which is partly how the revolvers work. i dont see how it would have a negative effect on the springs, because springs twist on their long axis all the time, and by reducing the twist, you increase the life of the springs.

8. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

from what iv herd and read its the on road manner that makes them undesireable. under breaking they will unload and open up on you. where the orbit eye wont, in a straight line its still just a regular spring. its benifit is that is does not twist the spring like a piece of licorice or (laterally?)which changes the spring rate and stiffens the spring and puts alot less stress on the longest spring. so it allows for more flex since the spring is not starting to twist till later in the articulation movement of the axle. thats my theory anyways.

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The orbit eyes I have seen squeak like crazy and wear fast too. They use a hard teflon type material that works fine till there is a small amount of dirt in them, then all hell breaks loose.

10. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I understand why the revolver is squirrely on road.... The idea I was getting at was that revolver shackles allow this lateral twist while still having the front of the spring fixed in the normal manner so the johnny joint seems like a brilliant idea. I didn't do a very good job of stating it clearly because I was unsure if the revolvers allowed for movement on both axis.:o

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah a johnny joint or revolver allows the spring to twist LESS. Only the front half of the spring has to twist then. Where as normally both front and rear must twist.