Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD 1" body lift ?'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by californiak5, Dec 5, 2000.

1. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

ORD 1\" body lift ?\'s

I am planing on installing the 1" body lift from ORD this weekend on my 70 K5. I was wondering if there is anything speacial that I need to look out for. I have done suspension lifts before, but never a body lift. I will also be changing the body mounts at the same time. Any help would be apreciated. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG] I have to agree with the Puddy Cat. [​IMG]

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Re: ORD 1\" body lift ?\'s

Hey CaliK5, check out my site http://www.boss.coloradok5.com Goes to the "Mod" section and click on the article write up I did on the ORD 1" and Energy Suspension Body mounts.
    It's fairly simple. The only tough part was the last mounts by the tailgate. Tough to get into and tough to put on. You may have to take the gas tank out for that. I didn't, but later when I did the ORD Shackle Flip, I took the tank out and tightened the bolts at the body. Besides that, its fairly simple [​IMG]
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

3. californiak5

Thanks for the info Boss. One more ?, you didn't have to do anything with the steering or anything? I just want to be as ready for this project as I can. Thanks again.

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Nope, nothing done with the steering. It's only 1" so you don't have to modify anything, not even radiator shroud (sp?) or Tcase/tranny shifter.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

5. californiak5

Just wanted to say thanks again.

6. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I got a section on my CK5 page to if you want more pictures to look at before you go at it. Remeber to lift it drivers side first, Because you will have to lift high (higher than you think) before the mounts are accesable. If you start with the pass-side you will maybe snap your gas filler hose. After the drivers-side is done(watch/release the emergency brakeline!) you wont have to lift it to that same extreme on the pass-side for the blocks to slide in. Use rust-loosner and undo the bolts that come out easy first, then leave the stuck ones over night. That really helps prevent sore nuckles alot.. Also remove the tailgate helper springs at the bottom of the tailgate before you lift cause they will bend if you dont.

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

7. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

You will have to loosen the steering-coulumn with the two bolts at the firewall, then two sliding bolts upp under the steering wheel. The coulumn will have to slide forewards while your jacking the body from the frame. Otherwise you will pull something. Wont hurt to take the fan off the fanclutch, just to make sure it doesn't get bent. Also not sure if your front-bumper will be in the way while you lift. It had to be taken off on my 88. Have the tailgate window open!
    Good luck!

8. rubiconchevy

rubiconchevy Registered Member

And do it on a level surface. Just the slightest incline will be noticed. I thought my drive-way was level when i did my body mount bushings. WRONG. Then again I did both sides at the same time to. Also there should be some holes next to your body mounts where you can stick a big screw driver in to help you align the holes.

9. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

I'm in the middle of it on my '79. A couple of "dissapointments".

The carriage bolts for the two rear-most positions on each side are welded to the inside of the bed. Had to use a grinder to grind the heads off. (I think you'll see the same thing on Boss' page). The bolts that go in are not carriage bolts, but hex head. I scratched up the interior a bit getting them off, and the new hex heads stick out like a sore thumb on my repainted interior.

2nd problem, bolts for the rearmost position were too short. (Think this is mentioned on Boss' page, too). Had to make a trip to the hardware store to find bolts about 1" longer.

Other than that, things are fine.

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children
    http://79guy.coloradok5.com

10. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Just have to comment on the rear two bolts being to short. I was sure I had bent something inside the frame so that I couldnt reach with the nut because of that. I solved it by using the jack and a long extension to push the bolt upp through the hole in the frame, bending back upp what I had pounded down when I forced(BFH) the grinded off bolt down through the bodymount. The nut could then be entered and I tightened it upp so it stuck trough 1 inch. Used the grinder to cut off the part that was left above the nut. Still feel them under the carpet though.Especially if you jump upp and land on them with your knee!!! I should have left these over night with the rust-loosner, instead I stupedly spent 4 hours hitting them back and forth until I had to quit for the night. Next day they just popped upp through the floor like nothing. I had damaged the floor around the bolt and had to use a BIG washer to cover it upp...

Mine was a kit from Black Diamond by the way