Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD 1" Body Lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by UseYourBlinker, Mar 4, 2002.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

ORD 1\" Body Lift

I was just reading over the ORD instruction's for the install of the body lift. I have some question's:
    Step #7 reads: If you are replacing the body bushings be aware that the bracket that holds the bushing inside the frame at position #5 also holds the capture nuts for the bumper brace. Cut the portion of the bracket witch holds the nuts off the rest of the bracket and reuse it.
    -Does anyone have a pic of this step? Also which body mount is position #5?

-Did anyone have any problems with lower valnce rubbing agianst the front bumper?

-Any problem's with the automatic tranny linkage being to short if the transfer case has been lowered?

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: ORD 1\" Body Lift

All the way to the rear. You will see the brackets - this is where dropping the tank helps. I used new nuts and washers and discarded the old bracket.

The valnce clears the front bumper with about 1/8 - 1/4" on my truck. I think you have a little play with bumper brackets also.

My tranny linkage needed to be adjusted but it was long enough.

Your tailgate load springs will interfere with the body lift a bit. I kept mine connected and it took quite a bit of lifting to get the rear pucks and bushings in.

I started with the left front, everything loose on the right side, ended up taking both rear bolts out and did the rear as a pair, then worked forward on the right side of the truck.

I did new bushing with the 1" lift.

3. UseYourBlinker

Thanks Dave...You wanna drive up and give me a hand doing this install? LOL..
    Now just got to order some new bushing's...

4. 2Dogs

Let me know when you do it. Weekends are real bad for me.

Do you have jacks and GOOD blocks?

5. UseYourBlinker

It's gonna happen on a Saturday/Sunday.. I have 2 jack's one is a 2-ton other one is alot smaller. Also have 4 jackstands. What do you mean by good block's?

6. UseYourBlinker

I might have another problem on my hands.. My nerfbar's are welded on. Gonna be a bitch trying to jack up the body with them mounted.

7. 2Dogs

We used 3 large jacks with blocks (app 2' long x 4x8").

We lifted the entire side of the truck with this combo.

I plan on being on the trail someplace this weekend. I'll help during the week if you get postponed.

8. 2Dogs

As long as they don't interfere with the body bolts.

And they will help if they are strong enough to lift with.

9. UseYourBlinker

I didn't mean this weekend /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Heard on the news a storm is coming in Wed. Gonna wait till the summer for this project /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Thanks for the info.

10. 2Dogs

Come on - lets do it sooner.

OK. I'll help if I can but at least I can help you line up tools, supplies, blocks and whatever.....

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I installed a set yesterday with new polly mounts. Wasn't as bad a job as I thought it would be. I still have to mess with the fan shroude. Think seriously about going electric.
    The worst by far was the #5's. It can be done without dropping the tank. I did it. The bracket that the instructions talk about is shaped like a P. the lower mount goes though the opening. On my 75 there was enough room to slide the old mount out. With the two bracket bolts out it will come loose in the frame. I layed the bracket in the rial so I could beat it flat with a long 3/8's extension through the bed . Just be real carefull not to catch any of the tail light harness that is in the driverside rail.Once that bracket was bent it could be fished out between the frame and tank on the top.
    If you need to use the factory bumper braces you can tape a nut to a box wrench and install regular nuts to bolt that bracket to the frame. This can be done through the access hole in the botom of the frame.
    Installing the bolts, washers and body puck is a little of a ballancing act. I took some electrical tape and taped the nut and washers together. stuck the socket on a long extension and set the nut and washer on the socket between the fram and the tank at the top. Then set the new body mount on that. dropped the bolt in through the bed. Got both sides first shot. Just be sure you got that body suported when you got your hands beween the frame and body. Put a block between them so there is no way you can drop that body while you got your hand up there.
    I have some pictures. I'll try to load them up somewhere.
    I did have to tweek my shift linkage. I'm thinking it may have got bent at some point. There is supose to be a bend in it but mine was excesive.
    I'll be doing a write up on this but it may be a couple weeks. Steve is also got his hands full trying to get the server running smooth so he's may take a week or two to post it once I get it to him.

12. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Yep, just like Grim said, I didn't have to drop the tank either, did the tape the bolt and washer to the wrench thing, except, I just left the brackets in the frame as a momento. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    I told Stephen I would do a write up on this as well, man I got to get busy.