Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD 1 in body lift install issue

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Aug 15, 2001.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I just got my ORD 1" body lift to give my 35s a little more room. The instructions said I needed to drop the fuel cell. I asked Steve (ORD) and he said I didn't have to if I could get to the bolts with it still in place. What is y'all's experience with installing these lifts? It looks like dropping the fuel cell is a PIA. Is it really not that difficult?

Your opinions and experience is appreciated and needed here.

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My 85 Jimmy</a>
    PM me for a great deal on blinker fluid! Best price on the net!

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I installed a new tank in mine last year. By myself, but with the help of a hoist and some good jacks, it took maybe 30 minutes to remove the old tank and maybe an hour to install the new one. Having an extra person really helps.
    All you need to do is remove the factory skidplate (I think about 5 bolts), loosen the tank straps a little to lower the tank and gain access to the top of the tank and sending unit, unhook the fuel lines and wiring, then lower the tank to the ground.

3. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

You shouldn't have to lower tank to get to those bolts. I didn't, and can't see why you would either. Good luck, biggest pain is rusted body mount bolts.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I also removed and install the fuel tank by myself and have done it about 3 times. Not hard at all.

But I did the ORD 1" body on my old truck (75') and didn't need to. When I do the ORD 1" again on my 89' and probably won't remove it either. But I know it would be a lot easier if I just remove the tank. It's mainly for the two last bolts that go through the tail pan.
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Dropping the tank is not needed but isn't that hard to do if you go that route.

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>