Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD 4" shackle flip

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4X4HIGH, Nov 28, 2003.

1. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

ORD 4\" shackle flip

Can anyone who has 4" rear superlift springs and a 4" ORD shackle flip tell me how much the flip moved the axle forward. I am getting ready to do the 4" shackle flip and want to make sure that I don't need to get some zero rates to relocate the axle back some due to the arch of the spring moving the axle forward too far.

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Re: ORD 4\" shackle flip

If you want to move it back without z-rates you can just drill a new hole in the spring perch 1" farther forward to move the axle back. This will work on all steel perches but I think the stock 14FF cast iron ones have a void there. You will also have to notch out the u-bolt plate because it will move back as well.

3. 4X4HIGH

I was already thinking about making new perches anyway and making them with a couple different holes to move the axle since I will need to correct pinion angle again anyway. So you are saying the axle will move forward by 1 inch?

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

PM Rockjunkie- he was making some solid spring perches a while back... thats where i picked up mine. Very Beefy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    IF he isn't making them any more PM Tony P. I think he is doing 14ff perches also.

5. 4X4HIGH

Well Ryan, I think that Greg will be helping me on this one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I don't know how far it will move back but I couldn't see it being more than 1". I made my own perches out of some 2.5 x.25 wall square tubing and drilled the hole offset 1". The axle sets a bit to the front from the factory...so it is hard to tell how far the axle actally moved with the shackle flip.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't know how far it will move back but I couldn't see it being more than 1". I made my own perches out of some 2.5 x.25 wall square tubing and drilled the hole offset 1". The axle sets a bit to the front from the factory...so it is hard to tell how far the axle actally moved with the shackle flip.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did you cut the tubing into the curve to form the perch?

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, Triaged clamped the two pieces of tubing together and used a hole saw to make the half round notches.

When I made mine, I drew the perches up and printed them out full scale using my CAD software. I then traced and scribed the shape of the notch to the tubing. I roughed the notched out with a gas-ax and then fine tuned the opening with a grinder. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can even do it with a sabersaw and a metal-cutting blade. Cut the hole slightly undersize, and then use a grinding wheel, to create a nice clean final shape. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Beast is right. I used a 3.5" hole saw to do it. Scarry thing is that my drill press is made for wood and spins way to fast for the hole saw so I did it by hand /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I found out that my 1/2 Milwaukee puts out plenty of torque. I had it braced against my leg when I was doing it and it threw me on the ground once when it got hung up. That hurt....so I can't sugest anyone else doing it that way unless you have a drill press that turns nice and slow. It did however go quick and left a nice finish.