Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD adapter ? w/ pre 1975 t/c side torque mount .

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by tarussell, Jan 26, 2003.

1. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I am worried about the possible breakage of the aluminium adapter ( range box to 205 ) with the use of the side torque mount. If the frame flexes to much causing the adapter to become the possible weak link.
    Does anyone run the side t/c mount and has there been any issues w/ the adapter ?
    I have gone through great lengths to avoid the use of aluminium in the drivetrain. I am using a pre 1973 cast iron bell housing and the additional crossmember underneath the bell housing and a factory adapter from the 465 to the range box.
    From my searching on the subject only the aluminium is offered now and I would like some feed back on the adapter itself.
    Thanks in advance , Tom

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Hmmm... interesting point, I have the side torque mount also. Are you worried that the adapter would break or that it would pull the threads out?

Anybody using the side mount on a Doubler? Inquiring minds want to know...

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I am worried about the adapter itself .From what I can see in the pictures the adapter bolts go all the way through. I realize that it is of good quality but I have not heard of anyone running a " Doubler " with the side mount . I am hoping to hear from those who have run one for a while ......
    Thanks , Tom

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I'm not sure what the weak link in that drivetrain would be but I don't think there would ever be a problem breaking our adapter. The flanges are super thick, the under cuts are radiused, the fig 8 bolt pattern creates a solid island, etc, etc, etc. And this isn't a cheap thin casting like a lot of factory stuff, it's solid 6061 T6 so i'm not really worried about the strength of the adapter.

I really don't see a problem with using the side mount on the 205, it's not necessary to the function but it would stiffen up drivetrain some more. I think the key is stiff motor mounts and minimizing frame flex. If the 205 is held stationary compared to the frame, you'd better keep the motor from moving also.

We've tested the 1/2" coarse thread bolt holes in the bottom of the adapter and with 1" of thread engagement, a grade 8 bolt breaks off at about 150 ft-lb of torque. So, we're not really worried about the bolt holes either.

5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

GREAT !!!!!! I called and talked to someone at ORD today and feel a whole lot better about the adapter now.
    That is the kind of testing and workmanship that I wanted to hear . I did not realize that it was made out of such good material -- sounds strong enough for what I'll do with it .
    Good point on keeping the motor in its place -- I got the urethane mounts for the front and rear motor mounts along w/ the t/c cross members and the side mount , hopefully that will keep all in place ??????
    Thanks for the response's , Tom

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

If you can keep the frame from flexing around it, I think you'll have it.

Just FYI, mine's mounted with our comp style motor mounts up front with a slightly harder bushing in them, and two of our HD bushing assemblies welded to the Doubler adapter (old steel version), along with a stock rubber trans mount bolted to the back of the TH700. All of the bushing stiffnesses are the same and they're running similar mounting widths front and rear with the rubber tranny mount in there just to take any bounce out of the drivetrain.