Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD and Cousin Willard coming to CA this weekend for CHEAP TRUCK

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Stephen, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Petersen's Cheap Truck Challenge is this weekend at Hungry Valley near Gorman so we're bringing Cousin Willard out to play. Anyone else that wants to stop by is welcome. I have no idea where we'll be but we'll probably be easy to spot. General plan is to show up thursday night, go over to the beach fri. morn, wheel sat, and sun morn, then start home. Maybe we'll see some of you there.

[​IMG]

We overshot the $1500 budget a bit, we're up to $2K now but that's mostly because we used up some of our good cheap used stuff on 2 employee's budget buildups in the last year.

Specs:
    '85 K30 crewcab 4wd with 1 or 200,000 miles.
    There's some spots you can see out of the cab that aren't glass.
    350/TH400/205/D60/14FF
    TCI 4" front springs, used ORD shackle flip rear with some kind of 3/4T rear springs that are softer than the high GVW stockers
    Tires are some old used goodyear MT 37's on some used leftover eagle wheels. We would have slapped them on some used steels we have around but the money from selling the wheels would have just covered the mount and balance on the alums they were mounted on so we left them.
    Rear has a Detroit.
    It has my original swaybar disconnects on it.
    Steering correction is a stock Dodge D60 steering arm we had laying around
    Fuel tank is one of the stock side saddles mounted in the front of the bed.
    We're supposed to be on the way already so I'd better go get on the road but I thought I'd thow the trip out there if anyone is close and free to come up.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2005
  2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I was debating on going sonce it's only 45 minutes from here. Maybe this will be more of a reason to go. :D

3. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I'll be there sat morning.

4. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

new guy ?

what is the peterson chall, I am in pismo and would be short trip to check it out. Allso do you know a time table for when things are happin? Just joined ck5 and would like to get more into the 4wheelin scene. Could you pm me with info. TIA

5. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Sounds like fun Stephen, good luck to you and the guys at ORD :waytogo:

7. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

you gonna be there sunday too? its both days correct?

8. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hmm, I may have to bring another crewcab to show you guys how it's done.... But I think mine went a bit over the $1500 budget too :rolleyes: :doah:

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

On your way back you need to stop by my house and help me get my samurai done, it used to be a budget wheeler till i decided to link it and put toyota axles underneath it.

10. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

you spent less than $1500 on your new paint job, right :D

Go play

Stephen, you should have towed the wally behind it :wink1:

11. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

thanks

Thanks for the flier, going down Sat.

12. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
    That's classic! I gotta remember that one - I've got that problem too...

13. 78blazaer

78blazaer Registered Member

I'll be there Saturday morning. Who else is going from Southern California?
    Perhaps we can all meet up for breakfast or something.

14. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Well, Cheap Truck turned out to be a bit disorganized, so I'd like to apologize to the guys that did show up and all they found was a mess. We ended up doing the hurry up and wait most of saturday. We finally left for the trail at 2:00 and didn't have much warning that it was time to go. It would have been fun to have you guys along but we didn't get back till after midnight so maybe you didn't want to be on the trailride anyway.

I do have to say the Miller Trail was awesome, at least in a crewcab. I don't know that I've seen such tight switchbacks anywhere else and doing them in a crewcab was pretty fun. I did fully enjoy wheeling in a truck with a cab and a heater and a functional bed to stash all our stuff in, overall it was a great time. For trail performance, Willard did great. I had to tighten the front carb mount bolts to close up a vacuum leak but that was it for working on the truck out there. I decided to leave the swaybar hooked up to keep the steering as good as possible since the trail was so tight and it turns out I needed everything the steering could give me.
    Overall I'd have to say that was $2K well spent.
    I have a few pics to post but they're on the wife's camera so it'll be a bit.

15. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I wish I would have been able to make it out. Glad you guys had a great time out there. But yeah the miller trail is fun! I ran it last month in my suburban and had a blast, I defiantly want to run it again after it rains a bit should be plenty fun.

16. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

stephen, it was nice to meet you, my buddy, and my son and i came out on sunday. it wasn't what i expected but it still was cool to see cousin willard and the UAK10 truck. rick pewe gave my son, my bud and i stickers and the guy driving the UAK10 gave us petersons 4 wheel & off road licence plate inserts. not a big deal but cool nun the less. we kinda felt as though we were imposing on your camp, so sorry if we did. also it was very nice of your boy to invite my son to come play with him, it looked like you had your hands full and we didn't want to intrude any more then we were so we left. i wish i had my blazer done that day more then any other, since the dude driving the UAK10 envited us to go on the trail run whan you guys made the short run that day, but we were in my buds new super duty and that wasn't gonna happen. again it was nice meeting you and seeing cousin willard, and i still will volunteer at off road expo if ya ever get there. :D a few pics i took that day, ever got a rover with a wheel off the ground.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007