Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD brace install problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Jun 10, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

OK guys, for some reason I had REAL problems getting everything to line up when I installed this thing.

The lines going to my factory oil cooler (gone bad and have an aftermarket one in its place) were REALLY tight. I had a LOT of problems getting the thing to sit in place right, and getting the bolt holes to line up.

In the process I put a small dent in one of the brake lines that runs under brace where the steering box is. The dent did not cause any leaks, and it is far from completely restricting things. The dent, however, is sizable enough I thought I had better ask. I would say it proably dented in about 25% of the way.

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

By the book, replace it

My opinion; replace it

Two for two so far

Twiztid

Twiztid

3. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I doubt if the dimple in the brake line will be a problem, as long as it's not gouged. My oil cooler lines were tight against the brace too, but they did move enough to get it installed. I put some of that split plastic tubing on the lines so chaffing won't be a problem. I used a 1x2x12 stick against the brake lines, and gently hammered on the stick to nudge the lines where they needed to go. I then got all the bolts on the brace started before tightening any of them down. Mine went pretty smooth. Sorry yours is giving you grief. Take a break and have a beer. Good Luck

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

He dosn't drink -G-

How big of a dimple is it? Did it crease the brake line? There is over 1000 P.S.I. of preassure in the line. Do you realy want to play with that?- Not to disagree with grandolf, but this is realy just about opinions- right?

IMO the important leaks or possible leaks in order are;
    1- brakes, no rubbing, no damage, no chaffing, no nothing, clean and streight. G.M, has spent thousands in recalls on "what ifs" (IMO)
    2- coolant, you can get by with some leaks, but not a burts. And coolant leaks don't leave a mark on the drive-way unless they are really bad, so the levels just drop slighly over time.
    3- engine oil, Kinda ify, You refill the sys every 3000 mles.
    3- trans, same as engine oil, except longer time between refills
    3- Grear oils (diffs), Can't tell you how meny good brake shoes I've seen wasted by a leaking axle seal or diffs full of water, but, in genneral, they hold up to the abuse.
    4- P.S. leaks, not a biggie, they'll start whinning before there is a safty issuse.
    5- T-case, (except 208!!!) just not much going on in 'em.

Twiztid

5. solowookie

thanks gandolf and twiztid... No the dimple definately didn't gouge the line. I work with hydralic lines etc. and high pressure lines non-brake related a lot. The way it is dimpled really isn't very bad, and I'd be really suprised if it would weaken it. My concern was much more along the lines of even brake fluid flow; not having one side front or back brake harder then the other side etc.

I'm ussualy a lot more on the side of caution when it comes to something like this so I'll probably end up changing it just for my piece of mind.

6. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Your discription of the damage to the line sounded to me like it was more cosmetic than structural. Thru the years, I've seen dents and kinks in brake lines in other guys vehicles that obviously called for replacement but they weren't replaced and they never caused a failure to my knowledge. But Twiztid is right when he says "by the book, replace it". I know if it was on an airplane, it would be mandatory to replace it. We can analize this for hours, but the bottom line is your piece of mind. If it's going to bother you, then replace it. I thought about it after I made my first reply, and the fact that you posted it says it bothers you. So replace it, so you won't have to think about it.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I think Gandoff hit the nail right on the head.... if you are gonna worry about it replace it. Otherwise chances are it will be fine. I would probably just leave it and make sure the brakes operate properly... if they seem good... leave her be, because it will probably be a pain to replace w/ the brace in the way.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

8. solowookie

it is in a REALLY bad place to get to for a replacement, and I really don't think, structurally, that it is a problem. I drove it once today, and it seemed OK. I'll probably test the brakes good and then check it again. keep my eye on it for awhile.