Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD Doubler/Ford D60?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 45acp, May 31, 2001.

1. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Who has done the ORD Doubler installation with a Ford High Pinion Dana 60 front axle? I would like to know more about spring perches that need to be moved and any other complications that might be involved. Also, what year and model Ford trucks had the D60 axle with King Pins not Ball Joints? My email is bill@a-tron.net if this is to much for the board. Thanks, Bill

2. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I think Stephen runs this setup.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

3. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Pete, You are right, Stephen does run this setup but he is real busy right now getting ready for the TTC. He suggested that I consider this setup and ask around about it because he knows that someone else on this site has the same setup. Besides, he is useing coil springs over his Ford High Pinion D60 and so he does not have the same spring perches or other issues. I need to find the other K5 running this setup.
    Thanks for the input, Bill

4. DaveDave

DaveDave 1/2 ton status

blazer and ford share the same dimension 31.5 spring center to spring center,

5. RUSS84K5

RUSS84K5 1/2 ton status

Hi,
    HD Dave has it. I have all the parts to do this same set up. I measured a 10 bolt that had laying around and it was the same as the Ford D60.
    As for what year trucks they came in. 78-79 350s and some hd 250s, Then in 80 they went to something els, then in 84 1/2 to 91 they went back to the solid D60. 92 and up had the ball joints. These years are just what I'v gatherd from short comments, I'v never read a good explination of what happended in the early eighties.

6. DaveDave

DaveDave 1/2 ton status

no need for the doubler,the ford 205 maried t-case use the 31 spline female input shaft, chevy 32 spline shaft is the same size, just swith the shaft and voila.
    the other thing is, ford use the circular bolt patern so u will need a t 400 and 205 t-case with the circular bolt patern for the conversion.
    last thing is you will have to grinde the adapter to glear the shift rail of the t-case.

7. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Dave, I'm not sure why you said I don't need the doubler. That is what started all of this, I want the doubler and Stephen sggested the Ford High Pinion D60 with CV joints front and back. I am interested in what the installation of the D60 into my 1983 GMC will require since there is very little talk about Ford equipment on this site. I really son't want to get addicted to another site (5 is to many). I am aware of the crossmember issues. Thanks, Bill

8. DaveDave

DaveDave 1/2 ton status

the axle will bolt direct to your spring, personally i use the stock ford shock mount/shock/frame shock mount.

9. DaveDave

DaveDave 1/2 ton status

you will also need an gm dana 60 steering arm.