Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD Doubler: Is a twin stick needed, or can I use the std. shifters?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zakk, Mar 11, 2003.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I am not locked in the front (yet) but after buring out yet another tranny, I am looking into the specifics of a doubler set up and it seems everyone is running the ORD shift kit with it also.

I will have an ARB in the front, and the idea of 2wd lo doesn't really make my heart go pitter-patter, maybe because I don't have it, but I do not see the need for it in my application.

So anyway, can I use the stock 203 & 205 shifters? I know i will not be a ke3l w/o 3 levers down there but i have thick skin /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

The main problem with this is that you no longer use the 205 adapter which is where the 205 shifter mounts. Figuring out where to mount the 205 shifter could be tricky! When you get everything up in there you don't have much room left to fab anything. ORD's twin stick is nice, and makes the install MUCH easier!

Mike

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

ah...i see.

does the 205 have to modified to fit ORD's shifter kit? I know it does for the traditional twin stick...

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Zakk, you are confusing things. The twin stick that ORD sells is so that you have a shifter for the 203 range box and also the 205 T-case which will allow both shifters to come through the factory hole in your floor board. You could also twin stick the 205 so that you have control over the front and rear axles independently of each other. I think that is where you are getting confused by thinking the twin stick that ORD sells is for that purpose which it is not.

5. Mr.Chevy4x4

No, one of the sticks controls the high/low 203 range box, and the other controls the 205 just like the original 205 shifter. What would be really trick would be setting it up for 3 shifters, with the 205 twin stick setup! That is if you could remember what all the shift patterns were! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Mike

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

so it's a bolt on thing? I wonder if Bob the Knob will like his new home /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

7. Mr.Chevy4x4

Yep, it is a complete bolt on ordeal! No booty fab! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Mike

8. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

bolt on is kewl, but while you have everything apart, why not take out the shift rail, do 30 seconds of grinding, and have 3 shifters. its an easy mod and if you run, or in your case, are planning on runnign cutting brakes, you can lock down a rear wheel, shift into front-low, and swing the beast around practically in it's tracks. might be something to look into if you are runnining tight twisty trails.

-Scott

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

no cutting brakes in my future. Just having the crawl will be enuff to impress me.

10. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Eee-Zackly. I did this mod to mine, plus bought the line loc's. Im gonna be spinning circles in my tracks! Woo Hoo.

Zakk, take the time to modify your NP205, chances are you will be doing it anyway. I'm pretty sure you can still use the single stick on the NP205 with this mod and install the lever between the two rails like it was, to have the "simple operation". Then in the future you can pull the lever out, and install two sticks when you come to your senses! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Then in the future you can pull the lever out, and install two sticks when you come to your senses! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

where do you see me coming to this? I don't really see the "sexy-ness" of 2lo.

12. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Zakk,

2wd single low is my favorite gear!.... Unlocking the front end so that I can steer, backing trailers, and running the easy parts of the trail are the most common uses.

I'm sure you'll grow to love it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Marv

13. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Zakk,

2wd single low is my favorite gear!.... Unlocking the front end so that I can steer, backing trailers, and running the easy parts of the trail are the most common uses.

I'm sure you'll grow to love it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Marv

[/ QUOTE ]

do you have a detriot in front? I have not come into problems with steering, as I am open in the front. I know Scott (4X4HIGH) has a detriot in his D60, and he said he can't steer for crap, but with an ARB would this still be a concern?

Interesting...wonder how to mod an ORD kit for a twin stick...

*ponders*

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

With an open front, you won't need it as much but it would still be likely to help. It's still nice to select front only or rear only in any range based on your needs. And it's not that hard to do.

BTW, once modified, you can't single stick it because the stops aren't there to make the cross bar see-saw...

15. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I think I'll run it in the "stock" ORD confirguration and see what happens. In time I can mod'd. We all know our projects are never finished, only abandoned. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. Mudzer

After seeing Watson's ARB cost him the TTC and seeing Steve Fox blow an o-ring in his, I have since boycotted ARB. I know they take the abuse when they are locked in, but here in the Midwest, the Detroit is all the rage. If you are running slick rock all the time, then ARB is the way go to.

Do the Mod, you'll be glad you did. Plus, you can get "Stick-Itus" like the rest of us. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I have a hard time blaming the ARB for my problems, smoking a fuse because too much stuff was plugged into the circuit is pretty much user error. And with manual air contols available all that BS can go away.
    But back to the root of the post, with just the 2 sticks (one 203 and one 205) you'll have a 2:1 rear low gear and can get 4:1 rear low with some pretty simple mods. The rear only positions are very nice with automatic front lockers but not so much necessary with a selectable front. I rarely use rear only unless I'm maneuvering in such a way I need just the rears spinning. For most use the 2 stick does work out just fine.
    These guys are right, the first time someone in front of you hooks a corner with front wheel drive, you're going to want it, but it can be added later. Our 3 stick shifter should be an add-on for the 2 stick and the shift rails can be modified at any point in time also. So go whichever way you want, you have been educated!

18. Mudzer

OK, maybe that was a bold statement by me. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

One other problem I've seen with the ARB, the spotter is constantly yelling ARB! ARB! Do you have to be reminded or do you have a good memory Stephen? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I heard you are in the process of building the tri-stick now, do you have any Pics or should I wait to see Layne's setup?

19. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I have my 203 comming down this weekend and this was good for me...I will be slowly building my doubler... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

20. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have my 203 comming down this weekend and this was good for me...I will be slowly building my doubler... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

is that one of the t-cases Tony and I will be hauling down there?