Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD Engine Cross Member

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by onebig76k5, Oct 28, 2006.

1. onebig76k5

onebig76k5 Registered Member

I need help solving a problem. I replaced my OEM engine crossmember on my 1976 blazer with the ORD high clearance cross member. I also purchased a set of Day Star poly mounts from ORD. Since I installed the ORD piece the oil pan (Stock) rest (No clearance) on the crossmember. Has anyone else had this problem. How did you fix it? I shimed (.25 inch) the cross member away from the frame with no improvement and changed the motor mounts back to stock, no improvement. I spoke with Steven at ORD concerning this and he never returned my call.

After I shimmed, it appeared that I had a solution but the oil pan settled by down on the cross member. HELP.

DSC00834.JPG

DSC00833.JPG

DSC00832.JPG

DSC00826.JPG

Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  2. 89Burben

89Burben Registered Member

its hard to see your situation without a picture, however shimming the crossmember away from the frame is going to lower the whole business along with your engine. Either wait till monday to call back ORD, or maybe try putting shims (or washers) in-between the engine block mounts and the engine........ if you need the truck for the weekend.

Maybe theres a fabrication issue, but again its hard to understand what your trying to describe without a pic.

hope this helps

3. onebig76k5

Thanks. Let me go take some pics and I will Submit.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

yes shimming the cross member away from the frame is a bad idea, and it isn't accomplishing anything
    if you shim anything(bad idea IMHO) you need to shim the motor mounts up.

6. RockinChevy

RockinChevy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have the ORD engine crossmember too... I also have the ORD motor mounts and my oil pan is cleared from the crossmember just over 1/8".... I think the stock motor mounts are too soft, thus allowing engine weight to droop? Try switching to ORD motor mounts, that should put the engine right where it needs to be..
    I love mine and feels more rigid than stock.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

motor brackets?...

Are you sure the brackets on the motor are 4x4 ones??...passenger car and 2wd trucks have different ones that have the thru-bolt holes 1" closer from the block than the correct 4x4 ones do!..I see a lot of trucks with car motors swapped in with the car brackets,and this is exactly what happens!...

If they are the right brackets,then shimming the motor mounts between the mount and crossmember is one option,as already suggested..you'll need at least 1/2" more by the looks of your pictures..I've "fudged" a few trucks I swapped motors in with the car brackets (all I had at the time) by using longer bolts,and stacking a few 1/2" nuts under the motor mounts ..(used them as spacers)...:crazy:

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

only fix for that is to pull the lower crossmember out and cut the tube in half the width of you pan area that hits and weld in a flat plate.

9. onebig76k5

Thanks very much for your response. The guy that built my motor stopped by to take a look and his response was pretty much the same. He said shimming was a bad idea. The Blazer is a one owner and I know for sure everything was stock (No 2wd or car stuff) before I went tinkering. My plan is to contact ORD again on Monday and see if I can this one replaced. Question would a big block cross member offer any more clearance? If I can't get any assistance from ORD I will have to modify this unit "i.e. weld in a plate etc.

10. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Ord is really good about this stuf... I would not cut up a product i just bought and modify it to make it work. it should come ready to clear everything...

11. Teamstatic2001

Teamstatic2001 Registered Member

Uh oh on my project I have the crossmember but no engine installed yet, when I ordered mine they didnt have any bigblock crossmemeber. Anyone know what kinda problems ill run into and if a afterarket pan will fix it.

12. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

j/k... but would make it clear.

13. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is that an aftermarket pan? If so...I'm willing to bet that's your problem.