Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD Flip review finished

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Sep 16, 2000.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

2. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

As always, great review!

OK, if I'm putting a 4" spring lift in my rear, this will make it the equivalent of 8" total?

If I already have 4" springs in the front, what can I do to compensate for the rear flip? Do I need to go to 8" springs in front?

Thanks, and how are the server issues comming along?

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children
    http://79guy.coloradok5.com

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Nice review Steve, almost as good as mine[​IMG], j/k. Just kidding. But yeah, the flip is probably the greatest thing I've done to my K5 also. Screw the blocks. Anyways, 79guy, yeah, if you do the flip, plus 4" springs in the rear, you will have to go with 8" springs for front. Not only that, you would have to change a lot of other things to compensate for that amount of lift too.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

4. CK5

Thank's Boss, did you catch the part about someones boots catching on fire? [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

5. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Great review. I am thinking about doing this flip and ditching the blocks. About how long did it take to get rid of those rivits? How hard is it to drop the gas tank? You said you took something to the shop to get pressed out, but I wasn't sure what? Bushings? And who's boots caught on fire?

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker lift,33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R, 15x10 Bajas

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

So when is someone going to identify the advantages of the ORD flip kit over the homemade flip method? I'm pretty sure that the method that I used was easier to do & it only cost me about $10 and about 4 hours.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

7. CK5

Some advantages over the home made flip are the strength and the fact that the ORD setup angles the bracket forward for proper alignment, also if you want to go to a revolver shackle you have to use the ORD, the home made setup will not work. The ORD brackets net 4-1/4" of lift, I think the home made setup is a little less, but you would have to ask someone who has done that to make sure. Also if you are using the stock bushings in the shackle, the metal tube inside the bushing has teeth on the end to limit movement. If your going to go to this trouble why not do it right, the home made version kind of looks like a hack job, but then again, I can't really talk, just look at my fenders. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. 87chvy4x4

87chvy4x4 Registered Member

hey steve i put the button to this and other reveiws on my site its linke dup to ur pages is that ok??

CaLeB
    RiVeR cItY oFfRoAd
    http://caleb.coloradok5.com

9. CK5

84K5
    I found it easier to grind the rivits off, this part of the job really sucked, not sure how long it took. Dropping the tank is very easy, just make sure the tank is empty. I had the shackle pressed out of the factory hanger, did not want to spend my weekend pounding out bolt (you will have to do this for home made setup as well). Someone on this board caught his boots on fire while removing the rivets, but I will let that person come forward if he wants to, just thought it was kind of funny. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Alright, alright, it was ME! LOL[​IMG]. Steve, I did read that on your review, very funny,I hope that wasn't the reason to scare you away from the torch method[​IMG]. What happen was, I was torching the rivits and chunks of molton lava was flying out everywhere. Then I stepped on a lava piece (red hot metal) w/o even realizing it. I continued on like life was good until out the corner of my eye through a small gap of the welding helmet I see a big fire. I took off my helmet and looked and my whole entire boot was on fire. I had to stomp it out. This happened twice!!! from the same way. It definately was funny after the fact, but at the time, I thought I caught a damn heart attack. LOL though fellas. But the torch method only took me about an hour. The drill/grind sounds good, but it'll take forever, like Steve said. Also Shawn did the drill method and he said it took him a whole day.
    Steve, you're right, I think the ORD flip does give you about 4 1/4" lift. My rear sits perfect against the front.
    I just got home from an awesome trail run. I'll be updating my site with pics shortly. Should be up by tomorrow. Have fun.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

11. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info guys. I'll be sure not to light myself on fire.[​IMG]

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker lift,33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R, 15x10 Bajas

12. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

[​IMG] How the hell do you stomp out a fire when it's on your own boot!!! LMAO!!! Too funny!!! [​IMG] Boss, we need to make a mental note stating that you and I should never work on the same vehicle similtaniously. There'd be a ER visit before the job was done FOR SURE.

My take on the flip situation is this... I did my own flip, gusseted the factory shackle bracket, and honestly don't ever see it being damaged... It DID take some time though. The ORD kit is a steal for the simple facts that it's a bolt on unit, it's stout, and like Steve said, allows the use of shackles like Revolvers. For $175, ya can't go wrong. Nice write up Steve.

<font color=red>~BigBurban</font color=red>
    http://www.geocities.com/crash607