Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ord front axle shafts

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by jay web, Jan 11, 2002.

1. jay web

jay web Registered Member

this may be a stupid question, but if a 90 K5 already has 30 spline shafts, what would be the advantage of upgrading to the ord shafts? (other than they don't "neck down") would this be a good upgrade on a daily driven rig that would see only moderate wheeling (mud and sand) rather than swapping to a dana 60 (which i know all of you would do)

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The biggest differences are:
    -Better Steel (the ORD ones are Chrome Moly and stock is mild steel)
    -No necked down area
    -More metal around the u-joint
    -Lifetime warrantee
    You than have your stock axles to carry as spares (factory ones aren’t easy to come by).
    I also think more people will be able to make D44/10B’s last longer because of the new stronger Spicer u-joints (said to be 20% stronger than a 297x).

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Hey Dan,

whats a "supper swamper"?? Is that some weird food term im not familier with???[​IMG]

Leland aka RaisedK5

"The Voices told me to do it!"
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.coloradok5.com/gallery/albun91>This is what they told me to do</a>

4. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

Where can I get info on these stronger Spicer joints?

Thanks!

Richard
    Central NC
    '90 K-5 - daily driver '77 C-30 rollback - 454/SM465
    '76 K-5 - 14-bolt FF, 4.10's, locked front and rear, 36's, SM465/NP205

5. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

rich, where in central cack-a-lacky you located?

i am in fayetteville.

we need to get a uwarrie ride together!!

350 TBI, 700R-4, NP241, D44-14FF, 4:10's, 38.5 TSL/SX's, full conv., full cage
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com>www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com</a>

6. jay web

jay web Registered Member

when do you guys go to uwharrie? I live in sanford so let me knoww when you get it together.

7. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

Hey guys!

I live in Mebane (near Burlington) and I work in RTP. I'm a member of Central North Carolina 4x4 club (http://cnc.4x4.org) and we ride at Uwharrie all the time, including helping out at the work weekends.

Let's get a ride together! Uwharrie opens up again on April 1st.

Let me know when might be good!

Richard
    Central NC

8. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Holy-shnikies, where did this thread go?

On a mild wheeler, I don't think moly-shafts would be a good investment. Money beter spent else-where. (Just My Opinion- it's all relitive)

Stephan:
    'Got shafts for a 44?
    Your opinion on the new spicer U-joint?

Thanks!

<font color=white>.</font color=white>Eric
    <font color=white>.</font color=white>Twizted

9. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know anything about this stronger Spicer U-joint?

Thanks!

Richard
    Central NC

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Do a search in the main section we just talked about it this week.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

11. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I'd have to agree with whoever said "on a mild wheeler spend it somewhere else"
    The 30 spline diff is going to be a long term problem for you if you start breaking parts. It's just hard to find the axles. I haven't looking into factory axles for them but we might be able to get some spicers and that might be a good option. I have a hard time recommending a chromo shaft because they have to be custom built at this point and if you mess them up they're very expensive trash.
    Maybe you should wheel till you break them? If it takes a long time you know factory shafts will do it for you.
    Anyone played with putting 28 spline side gears in a 30 spline diff? I don't know if that will work in a factory carrier or not. I know it won't work going the other direction but if you had 28 spline side gears spares would be way easier to come by.
    Now that there are stronger joint options using 30 spline inners might make sense. I've broken 297's with 28 spl shafts but a stronger joint might cause problems with the minor spline dia. I know it's going to raise hell with the stub shafts. They're not overly burly as is.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I've spent several years dealing with front 30-spline 10-bolts. A couple of years ago most people did not even know they existed.

Junkyard type replacement shafts can be found but are not nearly as common as the 28-spline shafts, and they typically are close to twice as expensive. I only found 1 set of shafts in a junkyard within a 100 mile radius of here. The problem is these were only used for 3 years on Blazers and Suburbans, and the total number of these built per year is pretty low. I have bought 3 sets of shafts off of this board in the last year or so, and I think that was every set that went up for sale (including talking people into parting out complete axles for them).

So far I have not broken any of the 30-spline shafts while running 35" tires and a pretty tight limited slip. I have broken 2 axle u-joints in the last year or so. I run all of the tougher trails around here, but there is not much rock, and run the truck fairly hard......though I do not abuse it (in my opinion).