Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD fusible hub clutch rings?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wstolar, Nov 11, 2000.

1. wstolar

wstolar Registered Member

Does anyone know anything about the fusible hub clutch rings that OffRoadDesign mentions on their website? All it says is that their K5 is running the rings in the front axle. I know the idea is for the clutch rings to bust instead of a front drive axle ujt. Sounds like a good concept, and I am curious to know more.

Walter

2. I talked with ORD about these before,they go inside warn locking hubs.But they are designed to be a little weeker than the wheel joint.The only problem is that the u joint is alittle stonger than the factory axles which means you need to upgrade your axles before they will do you any good.
    The best thing to do is give them a call and talk to them about their products,they're very helpful.
    Hope this helps,good luck.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

3. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

O.k. I gotta take some credit here. I was talking with the Warn people quite a while back and they guy mentioned these fusable hub parts, he explained what they were and how they work and I talked with Stephen Watson the same day and mentioned them to him. He called and got some from Warn. Basically all they are is the locking mechanism inside your hub, its one of the two rings that lock togther to make your front wheels work when the hubs are locked. Anyway, they are made to break at 50,000 inch pounds of presure I believe is what the rep said. Anyway, in theory they are supposed to break before anything else does. That is in theory, in the real world, having you wheels turned hard and climbing may put more stress on your axle u joints and snap one of them instead.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com