Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD greasable bushing install

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Jul 21, 2002
    So, I installed a few more greasable shackle bushings today, the drivers side two that go with the rear shackle. A few things are bugging me:

1) The shackle with the bushings fits super tight in the hangar. I bent and pried it open a little, but even so, I had to convince it a little with a rubber mallet. Does this defeat the whole purpose? The bushings are tight in there, so the shackle was mostly rotating around the bushings with the bushings sitting still. The grease fitting though, puts grease between the bushing and the bolt. If the bushing is so tight, there will be no movement there anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2) I took the shackle out and cleaned it up and repainted it and stuff, then when I went to put it back, the spring just didn't want to reach to the shackle. I had the tire off and was jacking the axle up and down. It got closest when the axle was just hanging on the spring, but it still was an inch away. Sitting on the drum didn't even help. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Does this mean my droop is really lousy, or what? The shock was not limiting it either. To get the shackle back attached to the spring, I had to pry the spring down with a huge pry bar, bracing off the frame. Should it be that way?

I'm kind of scared to install the bushings on the front of the rear springs because the spring might pull away and I have no idea how I'd get it lined up again. These are Rancho 4" lift springs by the way.

Thanks for any advice.