Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD Greasable Bushings

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Derf00, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

If you don't have them, put them on you Christmas list. While installing our new BDS lift, I noticed that the shackle bolts on our old lift which was about 1 1/2 old were rusted so bad we had to cut them out. I am sure that any rough riding suspension that doesn't have greasable bushing would be greatly improved by adding them.

Derf00
    1990 K5 Jimmy 350 Edelbrock Performer TBI, 6in BDS Lift, Dana 60 4.56, Corp 14B Detriot, 16x10 Rock Crawler, 37x12.5 SSR

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Derfs RIGHT! [​IMG]

Those greaseable bushings really softened up my stiff-riding truck... it's easy to forget that bushings in a 30-year old truck can't be expected to still "do the job"...

I'm really happy with mine!

My new .sig from now on should be:

"Making my truck better....one ORD-product at a time" [​IMG]

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Hmm thanks I'll consider that since my truck rides like a tank, do you think it would improve the ride even without new springs

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Fumes,

You bet....My truck had 4" lift spring in the front, and has a 4" block out back with the stock spring.

The front bushings were fairly new, but even still....they were rusted and frozen and would NOT pivot like they're supposed to!! The rears are 30 years old, so when the shackle flip gets here (Friday!) I will find out what kind of improvement THAT will be......

It seems like the greaseable bushings are "transportable" anyway....so use them with your current springs, if you decide to get different springs later, you can just swap them over....You'll want to have them eventually anyway.

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yeah I hear ya sweet... thanx

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Stock-type rubber bushings still work after many years, because the rubber twists and nothing has to slide. Poly bushings, on the other hand, have to be greased regularly in order to work at all. I just wish that you could get stock-type rubber bushings for aftermarket springs.

<font color=green>Oh man, 4:10's are sure better than 3.08's!</font color=green>

8. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Actually, the rubber is supposed to absorb some of the shock put on the truck by the road. The rubber is not supposed to have to twist. The bolt that gos through the sleave in the bushing is supposed to twist as well. At least that is how i have always understood it.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

They are made from vulcanized rubber that is bonded both to the inner and outer sleeves. That is why they don't squeak. That is also why you can hardly get them apart.

<font color=green>Oh man, 4:10's are sure better than 3.08's!</font color=green>